ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   General Scooter Discussion (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Drives (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=55221)

Kmartsocca 09-23-2015 07:21 PM

Drives

So the question is... Which is preferred chain drive or belt drive?
Found a scooter, same make but must be different years, older one is belt drive, newer one chain drive. Both new scooters and chain drive is $300 more

kz1000st 09-24-2015 06:15 AM

I don't know of a scooter with chain drive but if there is go with the chain.

Irish 10-23-2015 11:05 AM

My 2006 Sportster 1200 w/ Trike Kit has a rear belt drive that was already on it but I much prefer a chain drive!:tdown::shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:

novaraptor 10-23-2015 12:37 PM

Would I be correct in thinking that the one with the chain is a clutch and shift setup, since the primary use for a belt on a scooter is so that the cvt can work? Advantages of a chain drive is primarily long life. Disadvantage is that it must be cleaned and oiled and adjusted for tension periodically. Either is good in the environment it is designed for.

kz1000st 10-23-2015 05:27 PM

This guy never came back but now I can't help wondering if the "Scooter" was a trike. Most of the ones I'm familiar are chain final drive but maybe newer ones are belt.

Irish 10-24-2015 12:21 PM

See #3. Actually that might not be what they come with because mine is a "Kit " but the new ones might have a chain. Suggestion: Go to a dealer & look at one on the floor!:shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:

taz001 10-24-2015 02:51 PM

chain drive

I have a scooter with a Chain drive:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ssport001a.jpg

1981 Honda Passport. I can't believe anyone would say that's not a scooter.

rks 10-27-2015 07:03 AM

Wow......that is a beauty taz001

Irish 12-28-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaraptor (Post 532897)
Would I be correct in thinking that the one with the chain is a clutch and shift setup, since the primary use for a belt on a scooter is so that the cvt can work? Advantages of a chain drive is primarily long life. Disadvantage is that it must be cleaned and oiled and adjusted for tension periodically. Either is good in the environment it is designed for.

My ride has a clutch & 5 gears but it is belt driven!:shrug::s Irish:scoot::nuts:

bandito2 12-28-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish (Post 533230)
My ride has a clutch & 5 gears but it is belt driven!:shrug::s Irish:scoot::nuts:

The marvels of modern materials make such a final drive possible. Belt final drive is lighter, quieter than a chain, infrequent to non-existent adjustment or maintenance, IIRC durability/longevity comparable, if not superior to chain drive, BUT! it is not as efficient at transmitting power to the rear wheel as a chain drive. (though close enough for good enough) I also seem to recall... maybe it was just an opinion, but it was compared to be similar in efficiency or maybe slightly less and near equal in durability/longevity to shaft drive, but frequency of maintenance of shaft drive was a little more.

The final belt drives are of fixed ratio on cogged pulleys so there is no ratio changing movement of the belt on those pulleys since they are of fixed diameter. And, this is on motorcycles, not scooters.

I think the big Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter could benefit from a belt final drive instead of the whole series of same sized gears that delivers the power to the rear wheel of that scooter.(The CVT is integrated and closer to the engine proper than with other smaller conventional scooters)... Well maybe that is a subject for another place.... (Just thinking out loud)

Irish 01-04-2016 12:33 PM

Drives

In my younger years of much Drag Racing , I would prefer the chain because I could (easily) change the gear ratio. Now at 71 , I just want something dependable! I still want power but a 1/4 of a second doesn't matter anymore!:yay::tup: Irish:scoot::nuts: