ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   General Scooter Discussion (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Is it ok to cool cilynder on only one side?? (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=55467)

padly1995 05-18-2016 05:32 PM

Is it ok to cool cilynder on only one side??

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, i literaly fitted tomos a3 engine on keeway scooter. The problem is that this engine is air cooled with no fan and the problem is that plastics on scooter are blocking airflow towards the cylinder.
However tomos also build those apn mopeds that have fan cooled engines and magneto on a3 is the same. So i want to fit a fan on my a3 engine, drill a big hole in the engine cover for air to come in, cut a hole from cover towards the cilynder for air to blow out and fit a piece of metal and bent it towards the cilynder.
But only problem is that i dont know if is ok to force cool cilynder on only one side?

Thanks for anwsers! :thanks:

kz1000st 05-18-2016 06:22 PM

Years ago some .....person....tried to ride a Chinese scooter from Maine to Key West. Eventually he totally blew the engine in Florida after numerous breakdowns from abusing the engine. He left off half the fan shroud and it overheated and expired. Air cooled engines run very hot and half measures to cool them will ultimately fail. Maybe if you added a scoop in the airstream it would work but I wouldn't take any long trips with it.

padly1995 05-18-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kz1000st (Post 533914)
Years ago some .....person....tried to ride a Chinese scooter from Maine to Key West. Eventually he totally blew the engine in Florida after numerous breakdowns from abusing the engine. He left off half the fan shroud and it overheated and expired. Air cooled engines run very hot and half measures to cool them will ultimately fail. Maybe if you added a scoop in the airstream it would work but I wouldn't take any long trips with it.

Yes but it would still be better than without this right?

ForCom5 05-19-2016 04:22 AM

Air cooled without a fan? That seems to be a tad worrisome. Like the above user said, air cooled engines run extremely hot. Since upgrading my 50cc TaoTao to an 88cc, I've added an extra vent that flows over and around the shroud to dissipate more heat from the general area. I can't quantify its effectiveness, but I'd like to think that more flowing air means more head getting moved away from the engine, which seems to be the name of the game.

Irish 05-19-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForCom5 (Post 533916)
Air cooled without a fan? That seems to be a tad worrisome. Like the above user said, air cooled engines run extremely hot. Since upgrading my 50cc TaoTao to an 88cc, I've added an extra vent that flows over and around the shroud to dissipate more heat from the general area. I can't quantify its effectiveness, but I'd like to think that more flowing air means more head getting moved away from the engine, which seems to be the name of the game.

Sounds like you are on the right track! Judging from your profile , you know how long those Fl. traffic lights are. I always hated liquid cooled engines but they are starting to make sense. When I'm sitting at a Traffic Light I always think-"I have an air-cooled engine & I'm sitting still in this heat!" :tdown:>:( Irish:scoot::nuts:

wheelbender6 05-21-2016 10:49 AM

Great thread, padly. When we are considering an engine swap, we have to include proper cooling in the planning.