ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   General Scooter Discussion (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   To vent or not to vent... (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=54008)

Frank Castle 02-27-2014 01:35 AM

To vent or not to vent...

hey scoot heads
quick question, have you seen this:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e..._5erg_fzfo.png

is it better to have a vented cvt cover or not?

cheapeto 02-27-2014 08:08 AM

I'm no mechanic, but I have swapped out my roller weights. I'm wondering if all the road dirt would make your variator weights getting covered in dirt and then not rolling outward in the pockets properly.
The clutch pads and springs all getting more dirt and debris then normal.
It also seems like you'd create a vacume of sorts with the belt spinning in there, pulling in stuff??
I think it looks great, but I'm not sure it would be worth while out here in the sticks, maybe city riding it would be ok. IDK, just my $.02.

carasdad 02-27-2014 10:46 AM

Not to be the bearer of bad news again..however. Those do typically suck up dirt and road debris into your CVT and Clutch pulleys. Also beware that MANY of those are fake Chrome plating and peel easily. A few Companies stopped selling them because a few drops of gas oil and other things on them and the 'Chrome' washes off..leaving you with a dull aluminum cover.:ugh: Just trying to save you a few bucks..
Glenn

inuyasha 02-27-2014 12:37 PM

HI Glenn
Very good advice
Take care and ride safely dearest friend and comrade
Yours Hank

carasdad 02-27-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inuyasha (Post 525481)
HI Glenn
Very good advice
Take care and ride safely dearest friend and comrade
Yours Hank

Hank..hello again my Bud. Who used to sell them then stopped? His name is Walt and he was from another site. He was a Scoot parts dealer in Puerto Rico.. Trying to recall his business name. Anyway..I worked on a few Scoots that had those from other companies and the 'Pseudo Chrome' just came off..literally washed off if they used the sprayers at the car wash...or if any gas or oil got a drop on them. Well..anyway..most folks have them copper dipped then true Chrome plated at a plating shop. It is costly that way..but it is true Chrome akin to the copper based Chrome plating on sink faucets..so it is a bit more durable that way... :cheers:

Guest_3 02-27-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

He was a Scoot parts dealer in Puerto Rico.Trying to recall his business name.
Glen, It was scooterelements

carasdad 02-27-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterwayne (Post 525499)
Glen, It was scooterelements

Hey yeah thanks.. That was Walt..said they stopped selling those Chrome vented covers cause the fake Chrome wore off. In fact Walt once said his dog peed on his CVT..and an hour later its Chrome was sloughing off..:lmao: Funny but true story..he had a pic of what happened to it..

Rhompin45 02-27-2014 09:46 PM

I have heard they are good to help keep it cooler in the cvt but I think the dirt would be more harmful than the heat. But I didn't realize the chrome comes off. Haha kinda funny.

Guest_3 02-27-2014 10:32 PM

I thought Walt was coming over here to open a scoot shop ??

Has anyone heard or spoke with him. ??

carasdad 02-28-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooterwayne (Post 525512)
I thought Walt was coming over here to open a scoot shop ??

Has anyone heard or spoke with him. ??

Last I heard Walt had opened one in Dade County Florida..I saw a post he made on another site where he said he was in Florida setting up his new shop. Maybe I can find other his website and ask him..:hmm: He had lots of good info and help for the 150 guys..

cheapeto 02-28-2014 08:57 AM

The BR has a foam backed cover over the aluminum variator/clutch cover, we just throw away the foam cover, and paint the aluminum cover black. I can ride for hours and touch the aluminum cover, it's very warm, but I'd not call it hot.
I do like that covers look and all, but I know how dirty it can get in there covered up properly.

blueboy5000 03-12-2014 02:51 PM

Walt does have a scoot store Scooterelements.com.

inuyasha 03-12-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueboy5000 (Post 525924)
Walt does have a scoot store Scooterelements.com.

Hi
They are not talking about his online store or the one in pr
Walt mentioned a while back about moving from pr to florida and opening a brick and mortor scooter shop there
They are askiong if he did the move
Take care and ride safely dear frirend
Yours Hank

twowheeler 03-12-2014 05:58 PM

I would just get a hole saw and make your own without buying one. Very easy to do.