ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   50cc - 124cc (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   50cc Tao Tao scooter opionons for upgrade or modification? (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=54475)

blubaustin 08-03-2014 06:24 PM

50cc Tao Tao scooter opionons for upgrade or modification?

I have a 50cc tao tao scooter 4 stroke, that has a gy6 engine. I am wanting to tinker with jetting but I found out that the carb has tamper resistant screws. I am wonder should I just drill out the screws and tweak it from there or would it be cost effective to just upgrade to a performance carb like a dellorto or webber or something? Any help is appreciated.

mmsscooters 08-04-2014 02:34 AM

You can use a dremel to cut into the screws and remove them with a flathead, or a 19mm keihin is a great option for 50 or 80cc scooters. i sell the keihins on my website for 49.99
mmsscooters.com

dylanmcc89 08-05-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blubaustin (Post 528625)
I have a 50cc tao tao scooter 4 stroke, that has a gy6 engine. I am wanting to tinker with jetting but I found out that the carb has tamper resistant screws. I am wonder should I just drill out the screws and tweak it from there or would it be cost effective to just upgrade to a performance carb like a dellorto or webber or something? Any help is appreciated.

i have the same thing goin on my 2014 cy-50a. my local motorcycle mechanic said i'd be better off buying a 20 dollar gy6 carb with an adjuster screw on it instead. thats what i intend on doing cuz i have a hard time with "jerry-riggin" like screwing out the screw hole haha

blubaustin 08-06-2014 06:33 PM

I tried cutting a notch into the screw but it just bent the metal up on it. It looks like I'll either have to drill it out or just buy a aftermarket carb. =(

Bvance554 08-07-2014 12:38 AM

Does it ran bad or are you just wanting to tinker?

cheapeto 08-07-2014 09:06 AM

I'd play with roller weights first myself.

mmsscooters 08-08-2014 01:24 PM

I have an overstock of the keihin japanese scooter carbs if you want one ill do $39.99 free shipping, theyre great carbs

dylanmcc89 08-09-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmsscooters (Post 528704)
I have an overstock of the keihin japanese scooter carbs if you want one ill do $39.99 free shipping, theyre great carbs

ship outta vegas?

mmsscooters 08-15-2014 02:28 AM

yeah, to wash should only be 3 days

kz1000st 08-15-2014 10:27 AM

When you get the Keihin don't throw away the Chinese carb. Many people have gotten those float bowl screws out with a small drill and easy out. You have nothing to lose once the new carb is in place.

dylanmcc89 08-15-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kz1000st (Post 528813)
When you get the Keihin don't throw away the Chinese carb. Many people have gotten those float bowl screws out with a small drill and easy out. You have nothing to lose once the new carb is in place.

thats a good idea, never woulda thought of it, never hurts to have a second carb lying around.

dylanmcc89 08-15-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmsscooters (Post 528812)
yeah, to wash should only be 3 days

nice you got a website for ordering or how do you prefer?

blubaustin 09-22-2014 06:36 PM

tinker

Was just wanting to tinker, I got the "screws" out by taking it to a local motorcycle shop, the mechanic just laughed pulled out some little pliers by snap on and removed them, drilled out my jet to a 88. Bought a uni filter, going to be getting a shutoff valve instead of the vacume operated pump, removed the pairing system, removed the big restriction in the exhaust that I think was caused by poor welding. The 88 though seems like its running lean, should I up it to a 90?

Heath"Thunder R" 09-23-2014 11:26 AM

I to have recently bought a Tao Tao Thunder R and am trying to figure out just what to do first to start GOIN FASTER!!!!

sleestak 09-28-2014 05:20 PM

Make sure you go over it well. Put a fuel filter in the line, replace the sh!tty fuse off the battery with a good blade fuse, and then rip the stupid charcoal canister out and simplify your vacuum lines. I had an instance where I overfilled the gas tank (easy to do), then the fuel clogged up the canister and bogged the engine down to where it just died. Fuel was leaking out my airbox.

Removing the canister will allow you to have just one vacuum line from your intake manifold to the petcock...that's it. Then the only other line will be the fuel line. Then just run the overflow line and the EGR line to atmosphere. Simple is better.

After you do this stuff and get it solid, then do roller tuning and all that. But if you really want it to go faster, just be done with it and do a BBK. That is where you will really see improvements. There is no replacement for displacement.

Cheers!