PDA

View Full Version : Chinese as commuter

RA
03-16-2020, 02:08 PM
Haven't been here in a while, but thinking about getting a Chinese for work commuting. It is only 23 miles each wayway. Does anyone use a chinese for such a daily commute?

sc00ter
03-21-2020, 09:33 PM
You buying new? Used? What brand and engine size? Has the dealer been around awhile? Have you seen their business/shop stickers on other scooters in the area? Some people say "Buy a used Honda/Yamaha/Kymco before buying a new Chinese brand scooter." but they fail to realize, its not really where the scooter is made-its the quality thats put into it. Open a iphone and look where its made. I have a guy at my job that uses a Chinese scooter on a daily basis. Has never had an issue with it. I have a Piaggio scooter for my daily, but only because I wanted a certain style (big wheels and flat floor) and Piaggio was the only one who made one the wife and I liked. My local Wolf dealer tried to get me on a Wolf (forgot what model) to "Get the word out for the brand.". I passed but I was very tempted.

RA
03-23-2020, 10:35 AM
I do agree, name brand may be more logical, but normally they are being sold for a reason. I do not trust used bikes. Newer used often need repairs, and can end up costing more than new. That is why i am interested in chinese as a commuter.
My work commute is thirty minutes each way, some stretches as low as 25 and as much as 55. It is about 24 miles each way. While i am seeking a 150, i also want a larger frame. They are larger, higher speed ranges, so should be able to cruise the 2 mile 55 mph stretch. I am wndering if taking proper care of the bike, riding logically, can the bikes actually be dependable, meaning. A 150 series.

sc00ter
03-23-2020, 10:36 PM
Just get a scooter, Chinese or otherwise, from a reputable dealer. Thats actually the most important thing. Like I said, if the wife and I didnt have our mind set on a big wheel/flat floor, I would have taken my WOLF dealer up on his offer. My commute is 14 miles each way-even in the rain, then joy riding on weekends (weather permitting on the weekend). I put 8500 miles on my Piaggio in the first year and I never had an issue with it. Its made in Vietnam. So as long as you pick a known brand thats backed by a reputable dealer, you should be fine-no matter where the scooter is made. Pick any particular brand yet? And 150cc is a good choice.

RA
03-24-2020, 01:08 AM
Still looking. The problem is that i want a large frame for more space, and a larger fuel cell. I also do not want the fllat floor. Some i viewed online such as the Roketa Bali has the features i want, as do the t9 series type. Either would be great, but are not available local. The nearest dealer for such bikes is a couple of states away. I really dont want to travel a day, but local dealers, if they order will take as much as three months, then the prices are extremely expensive.

sc00ter
03-24-2020, 10:55 PM
Mail order/delivered to your door scooter. The only bad things are:
Most shops will not service Chinese scooters.
You have no "real/physical" support if something fails.
Does it come with a 30 day warranty? What shop does the warranty work? Verify with the shop!
Good things:
You get exactly what you wanted.
Usually at a fair price.
If its a better known name brand, issues should have been addressed before shipping.

Are you handy with a wrench? Not asking to be a jerk, but if you have a general understanding of motors You Tube has EVERYTHING you need to keep it running.

Last note: Shipping. Make 100% sure how the shipping works. Is it drop-shipped to your door? If so, who/how does the unload work. If it goes to a shipping dock, who/how does the unload work? Sometimes, if the manufacturer has a shop they work with, they can deliver it to the servicing shop, the shop can do the set-up and PDI, fill out the warranty paperwork and have it ready for you-sometimes with the DMV paperwork filled out also.

RA
03-25-2020, 10:16 AM
Not at all, the questions you pose are right on target, and most would never consider asking til it was too late. So no, it is not being or sounding like a jerk.

I appreciate you caring enough to put them out there, it just goes to show you are being a great person and making sure i check on everything before ordering, and thanks.

As for mechanical ability, been working on gas engines, transmissions and electrical and break systems, i am quiet knowledgeable. I always get warrenties, but never use them cause i find it quicker to make repairs myself.
Delivery is lift gate to residence, final assembly required. Planning to make certain upgrades. Well, the normal. Plugs adjustable carb, belt and likely be%er grade air filter and oil change.

Scooter, mind if i send you message? I would love your opinion on a couple of ideas i am researching about the scooter i am thinking about.

sc00ter
03-25-2020, 11:01 AM
You should be golden with your online purchase! Yes, hit me up, thats what we're here for.

sc00ter
03-25-2020, 11:04 PM
Weird? I went to PM you back and it will not go thru. Gonna try a re-boot on my end. I read your PM though and have a few suggestions. I'll try again or, if you want, we can talk on the phone or text. I'll see if I can PM you again. Chrome books do strange things sometimes.