PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues

dh12791
07-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Melting Ignition High Tension Coils (part with spark plug wire coming off of it)

Hello all, newbie here.

So I am pretty well versed in scoots but electrical is definitely one of my weaker points. I am decent enough to be able to diagnose things but have a scoot that I am looking for some advice on.

Its a Keeway ARN 150 that keeps melting ignition coils. I am working on it for a friend and am told it has been replaced once so far and proceeded to melt another coil.

my first thought was that the voltage regulator might be bad but by checking with my multimeter it seems to be okay, although it is possible I may not have tested it properly.

My second thought is that there are a couple other wires grounded out to the same spot where the ignition coil bolts to (grounds to) the frame and I am wondering if it is possible that this may cause an overload of voltage or resistance to the coil? if that makes any sense

another thought is that maybe the first time it was replaced happened to just be a fault in the coil itself and that maybe the second one the melted up happened to be because the cdi was replaced at the same time from what I understand and I was looking at the difference between DC and AC CDIs. maybe it is a possibility that the first time was a fault with the coil and the second time melting had to do with and AC CDI in a DC system?

Those are my thoughts so far. If anyone can touch on any of the thoughts I mentioned so far or has any other thoughts I would love to hear them. All ideas are welcome!!! The scooter is in great shape for a 2007 so the owner obviously took great care of it and I have no doubt it has always been garaged. no rust at all. The only thing I noticed that someone else may have changed is the wires that I mentioned that are grounded where the coil is grounded. They have aftermarket terminals/wire ends on them but my gut tells me that someone else who may have tried to diagnose it replaced these ends to be sure that they had good continuity. and maybe grounded them there instead of their original spot.

If I can think of anything else I will update the post.

I hope somebody can help me out here. Bring on the ideas boys and girls!!!!:thanks::cheers:

dh12791
07-12-2019, 10:36 PM
damnnn!!! 73 views and now replies?!??!?!?!

uncleboomstick59
07-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Hi there just a guess but maybe there's a frayed set of wires somewhere grounding out. Happened to me when I was working on my truck bout burned the whole thing down due to a few wires being chewed on by mice touching each other

Sent from my ASUS_X018D using Tapatalk

2Dongfangs
07-13-2019, 02:14 PM
I am not an expert on this, but if it was mine I would run extra ground wire between the battery, engine and frame. clean off all paint to get a good connection. It sounds like an over voltage situation possibly at higher RPMs. It might be that a present ground wire is broken inside the insulation that looses continuity when moving (riding it). Also make sure grounding of the voltage regulator is good. I hope this helps

2Dongfangs
07-13-2019, 02:32 PM
I would also change the spark plug

Roscoe
07-14-2019, 07:19 AM
I'd be cleaning and checking the ground wires near the coil. I doubt an ignition coil draws enough current to cause it to melt. You could try moving the ignition coil to a different location away from the ground wires or the source of heat. This is the first time I've heard of a problem like this.