PDA

View Full Version : Michelin vs Pirelli

NaturalFlavored
04-08-2019, 12:40 AM
So I found a set of new tires, the ones that came with the bike are cheap and don't do well at high speeds.
So I found a set of Michelin tires for $141 that are good street tires not all terrain but I don't know if I should spend the extra $75 for pirelli tires at $215 a set, I love pirelli but I don't know if I should or need to spend the extra money.
I've always bought pirelli but I have a kid now (2 months) and know I can't be spending money like crazy.
I'd like some input, I've heard Michelin doesn't last as long as pirelli but will they last a few years or will pirelli be better and last 3-4 years and I don't have to worry about my tires.

Mustang 64
04-08-2019, 07:06 AM
I vote for the Michelin . They make excellent products and I have never found that they wear prematurely. I always use dyna-beads when I replace tires . They will smooth out the ride and make the tire last longer. IMHO

NaturalFlavored
04-08-2019, 07:32 PM
That's what I was thinking, I don't abuse tires. I try and avoid potholes and cracks/ bumps in the road, I've always bought pirelli so I'm not 100% on how well Michelin is. So thanks for the input I'll most likely be getting the Michelin unless someone can factually show me facts on Pirelli lasting longer then Michelin.

sc00ter
04-08-2019, 11:34 PM
I use Michelin Power Pure's with good results. Also have Michelin Reggae's on my Zuma. Come to think about it, Michelin's are on both of our Subaru's. I have limited experience with Pirelli tires so I cant comment on them lasting any longer. For rocket bikes I like Bridgestone Battleaxe tires. I always make sure they balance the tires correctly (rumor has it Michelin tires do not require balancing!?) and have never used beads. Do have a friend who swears by dyna-beads though.

neo71665
04-09-2019, 11:05 AM
I run air soft bbs (poor man dynabeads) in all my atvs, motorcycle, and SxS, and they work great. The tire shops around here pretty much only balance car and truck tires.

wheelbender6
04-09-2019, 08:20 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I would choose an on/off road tire though. Its very sandy in my area.

NaturalFlavored
04-09-2019, 11:57 PM
Ok how many tire bead bags do I need per tire? 1oz or 2?

Mustang 64
04-10-2019, 06:00 AM
One pack each tire for small tires like scooter tires.
Largest motorcycles need two in the rear.

NaturalFlavored
04-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Alright sounds good. Should I try these in my current tires to see if they would help or just get new ones? My current ones are at recommended psi but just feel like I'm sliding back and forth while driving which I've never had this feeling before on any other bike I've owned.

neo71665
04-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Ok how many tire bead bags do I need per tire? 1oz or 2?

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart