PDA

View Full Version : EFI Kit

NaturalFlavored
01-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Been researching a lot and reading a lot. I have lots of questions if anyone can answer them or have knowledge of doing the swap themselves.
First what EFI kit do you use or would use.
How does EFI tuning software work? When i first install it how would I go about finding out the timing of the engine.
I've been reading tuning websites and looking up EFI kits and still am so confused as I started. There's not a straight answer or info on how to get started.
If anyone can point me in the right direction much appreciated.
Still don't know what scooter to get but looking at 250cc at the moment and if i can figure out the tuning It'll help with my choice of which one to get.

neo71665
01-31-2019, 03:24 PM
Been looking at them myself and seems all the kits out right now have some major issues. IMHO not worth the headache for the little gains.

NaturalFlavored
02-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Well there is one that works but you have to program everything. From timing to air/fuel ratio.
Unless you have a ruckus GY6 swap you won't get a plug n play.

LorenStump
02-05-2019, 01:36 PM
This is why I asked in a lower post if anyone has made or used custom maps. No responses although by googling CDI maps will get you some answers on the ignition side. I have roughly 10 maps and have written 4.
I don’t have full EFI but do have a computer mappable CDI.

NaturalFlavored
02-05-2019, 08:03 PM
So what's the benefits of a mappable cdi?

LorenStump
02-06-2019, 03:52 AM
IGNITION TIMING
Igniting the correct air/fuel ratio at the correct time is the responsibility of the ignition system. Ignition timing consists chiefly of three parts: initial timing, timing advance or curve, and total timing. Checking and adjusting these elements of timing for maximum power and efficiency are fairly easy and inexpensive. It’s also satisfying to uncover untapped power in a performance engine, knowing that those gains can improve the performance of other components. Certainly, a carburetor cannot perform to its optimum unless the ignition timing is correct. The basic rule of carburetor tuning is ignition first. Once the ignition advancing mechanism is correct, the air/fuel mixture can be tuned for improved power or fuel efficiency.

Roscoe
02-09-2019, 05:19 AM
I just can't see justifying the cost and trouble of EFI on a GY6 engine. It is what it is, a simple reliable, durable engine made for basic transportation. If you want to level up there are better ways.

neo71665
02-09-2019, 07:13 AM
I just can't see justifying the cost and trouble of EFI on a GY6 engine. It is what it is, a simple reliable, durable engine made for basic transportation. If you want to level up there are better ways.

I stayed away from EFI on my drag truck for most of those reasons. Made the swap and only regretted not doing it sooner.

The problem with every gy6 kit I've seen is it's a hodge podge of parts that only somewhat work. The market isn't there for anybody to really design a good kit from the ground up that works well. The last kit that dropped I had high hopes but at the end they cheapen out and it shows with tuning problems and reliability issues. They claimed they designed their kit but in the end it's just one that already has known problems that they stuck their sticker over the other name and higher price tag on it. Nobody want to pay $400+ for a EFI kit that does work any better than a carb when you can just buy a new carb for a fraction.

Buggy depot has been working on one I think might be a game changer if it ever releases. Then again if it evers, they will not put their name on anything until every last kink worked out and it is truly bolt on and play. Been their toy project for the last 8 or so years I think. They are doing their own machining, building/programing the computer. The sensors and injector are the only off the shelf items.

NaturalFlavored
02-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Crappy, I was hoping I could do EFI and not have to take the carb out to tune everytime. It's not hard just time consuming, I've worked on smaller scooter engines so I was just hoping for something easier.
But that's life they never make anything easy, I will have to check the plug to make sure I'm not running rich or lean. Lame.

neo71665
02-10-2019, 10:44 PM
Crappy, I was hoping I could do EFI and not have to take the carb out to tune everytime. It's not hard just time consuming, I've worked on smaller scooter engines so I was just hoping for something easier.
But that's life they never make anything easy, I will have to check the plug to make sure I'm not running rich or lean. Lame.

These are popular all over the world because these are simple and cheap. People in 3rd world countries are most likely not gonna have the funds or tech to buy and tune fuel injection. The support from first world countries willing to pay for FI isn't there.

What I have started to do is have a summer and winter carb. Where I'm at once it drops below 50F I have to drop down a jet. Easier to just swap carbs, then I can clean and inspect the other in my free time.

NaturalFlavored
02-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Ya I was looking into getting a bigger carb for summer driving when it's 100+° out here so it gets more air flow as well as fuel. But I don't know how well nibbi is or whatever their called haha.