PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration noise on Piaggio Typhoon 50

skyrider
07-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Hey guys, been awhile. About 2 yrs ago my Chinese 50 was stolen and for $1,200 I picked up a 2014 Piaggio just under 1,000 miles. I've always heard a rattlin sound which I thought was valves, but now its gotten much louder on acceleration only. It now sounds like rollers, but the sound comes from the exhaust side. Exhaust is tight, no holes, but I have some fear that something might happen that could be prevented. Just under 2,000 miles now and I did change the oil, but that didn't help. Other Typhoon owners on the web have reported a similar noise. Thoughts??

rks
07-22-2018, 05:23 PM
I'll start by saying I've never owned a Piaggio, so I know nothing about them.

I do however have a similar noise, coming from the same area, of my Chinese scooter. It has done it from day one, and drove my nuts trying to chase down the cause. Finally found it to be the mounting system used for my particular rear disc brake caliper. It floats a little bit on its pins, causing it to rattle/vibrate when power is applied (accelerating). Decelerating, braking, or just loafing along on level ground....no noise.

This is just an annoyance....for 14,000 miles later the brakes still work fine.....still the original pads.

If you have a rear disc, grab ahold of the caliper, see if it will wiggle a little bit.

skyrider
07-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Thanks RKS!! Well I checked and they are drum brakes with access from the tranny side. There is nothing on the other side except the exhaust and that's tight. Checked the crankcase and everything on the non-exhaust side is tight, so I'm thinking its something internal, maybe even something in the exhaust pipe. So your guess is as good as mine.

rks
07-24-2018, 06:48 AM
That would be my next guess also.....something in the muffler isn't quite right.