PDA

View Full Version : Safe engine degreasing/cleaning help?

Nemesis8
03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
So I've had a really bad oil leak. The entire engine compartment seems to be covered in oil. I've installed an oil catch can, and I'm hoping that was the issue. Although I suspect it may be a gasket. So I'm about to degrease the entire engine compartment so I can see if it's still leaking, or at least try to tell where it's coming from. Is there anything I should tape plastic over, or be aware of in order not to mess anything up? I want it to start right up once I'm done, and there's tons of oil, grease, and grime all over this 2014 Yamaha Zuma clone with a 150cc gy6 engine. I would like to give a very thorough cleaning.

Also, any tips on finding where the leak is coming from?

Thanks!

Ozo
04-07-2017, 02:53 PM
So I've had a really bad oil leak. The entire engine compartment seems to be covered in oil. I've installed an oil catch can, and I'm hoping that was the issue. Although I suspect it may be a gasket. So I'm about to degrease the entire engine compartment so I can see if it's still leaking, or at least try to tell where it's coming from. Is there anything I should tape plastic over, or be aware of in order not to mess anything up? I want it to start right up once I'm done, and there's tons of oil, grease, and grime all over this 2014 Yamaha Zuma clone with a 150cc gy6 engine. I would like to give a very thorough cleaning.

Also, any tips on finding where the leak is coming from?

Thanks!

You probably have that taken care of by now but I would say that a good cleaning is needed if you wish to locate the origin of the leak. I degrease with some stuff I get at the dollar store called "Awesome". It is cheap and works great. I can not guarantee that it is environmentally safe however.