PDA

View Full Version : A pertanent question?

Irish
06-19-2016, 09:50 AM
I have a 2006 Sportster 1200 with a trike kit. Does anyone know of an addition that I can do for cooling? It is air cooled & these Florida lights are ridiculously long. Every time that I'm sitting at a red light , I think-I've got an air cooled engine & I'm sitting still in the heat. I never liked liquid cooled engines but in Florida they are starting to make sense to me.:thanks::tdown: Irish:scoot::nuts:

wheelbender6
06-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Add an oil cooler if you don't have one. That should keep it from getting too hot.

philr
06-19-2016, 04:59 PM
A number of the FLH riders install cooling fan kits for stop & go traffic. May be something adaptable to your trike. Many results when I Google: Harley Davidson cooling fan kit

Irish
06-20-2016, 11:16 AM
:thanks: Irish:scoot::nuts:

Irish
07-31-2016, 11:49 AM
:thanks: Irish:scoot::nuts:
When I search Harley Davidson Trike , all that I get is the HD Trike site by HD!:hmm::shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. Has anyone seen the HD price on Oil Coolers? You're talking $300! I think that for that I'll take my chances with the heat! :tdown:It's like I've said for years- An ashtray will cost $2. If it has HD on it , it now costs at least $8/9,

philr
07-31-2016, 03:17 PM
When I search Harley Davidson Trike , all that I get is the HD Trike site by HD!:hmm::shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. Has anyone seen the HD price on Oil Coolers? You're talking $300! I think that for that I'll take my chances with the heat! :tdown:It's like I've said for years- An ashtray will cost $2. If it has HD on it , it now costs at least $8/9,
Check eBay for automotive cooling fans... many 12v radiator cooling fans for well under $100.00. Mount on left side of cylinders/engine with custom (home) made bracket... won't be chrome, but won't break the bank either.

rks
08-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Here ya go Irish....this one's only $400.00. Looks like a real nice setup, everything you need is included, and it would be a neat job when finished. Is a bit pricey.....but what isn't these days.

http://www.ultracoolfl.com/shop/oil-coolers/the-reefer/

Think an oil cooler is probably the way to go. Have read elsewhere that something like 70% of the cooling is done by the oil......a lot less of the cooling is accomplished by air passing through the cylinder fins.

Irish
08-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks!:thanks:I guess that I have to learn to live with the "NEW" prices! In NH , I used to buy blown up or wrecked Triumphs & rebuild & "chop" them & "flip" them & sell them for much more! I used to buy them for the cost of that oil cooler. Times change but the prices sure have gone up!:hmm::s Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. Ex: Basket '70 Triumph $50. Main Bearing , Wrist Pin ,.010 Overbore , New Pistons & Rings , paint , a lot of work. Sold $1800.