PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Clutch Engaging Below 2000 RPM (150CC GY6)

coreyman
05-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Hey guys I was hoping to get some insight, I bought a used scooter with no clutch. I ordered the proper clutch online (stock oem replacement) and it seems to be engaging under 2000 RPM after installation. I'm using the 835 belt (stock belt), heard that a 842 will also work. The scoot is a wildfire r8 2008 model.

Engaging under 2000 RPM is causing a few issues.
1) It's putting a load on the engine when trying to start it, causing it to be really hard to start.
2) The engine dies because there is a load on it at idle unless I give it gas and press the brake at the same time to remain stationary.

The clutch looked good upon visual inspection. What do you guys suggest I do?

rks
05-26-2016, 08:09 AM
Have you looked at the variator? Did a roller get out of whack when you were installing the belt? Is the belt riding all the way down to the bottom, in the variator, or is it riding up some, because the variator can not open up fully?

coreyman
05-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Have you looked at the variator? Did a roller get out of whack when you were installing the belt? Is the belt riding all the way down to the bottom, in the variator, or is it riding up some, because the variator can not open up fully?

Well I didn't mess with it when I unbolted the outside part of it to put the belt on. What do you mean 'did a roller get out of whack' what should I be looking for? What orientation should the rollers be in? Where should the belt be on the variator, all the way down, or all the way up?

rks
05-27-2016, 05:49 AM
When at rest, or at idle, the variator should be fully open, so the belt will be near the bottom. At the same time, the clutch pulley should be fully closed, with the belt riding at the very top.

If during belt installation, the variator was not held in place, but rather allowed to flop around on the shaft, a roller may have flipped. This could inhibit your variator's ability to open fully.

There are many videos on the net, about variators, belt installing, and such. Watch a few, you'll get a better understanding of how our drivetrains work.

cheapeto
05-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Maybe this will help. IMHO you should keep looking at info until you understand this, as it's the cheapest mods you can do yourself.

http://www.buggydepot.com/tech-center/150cc-gy6-cvt-transmission/

Dr Pulley also has some good vids and info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc

good luck

coreyman
05-28-2016, 07:07 AM
Ahh thanks guys! I remember the variator was fully closed when the key was off, looks like it should have been fully open. I'm guessing the rollers are out of wack. I'll take it apart and look inside.

coreyman
05-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Just as an update - the rollers were out of wack, seating everything properly in the variator fixed my issue. Thanks so much guys!