PDA

View Full Version : This scooter is killing me. Keeps cutting off, then battery is totally dead

Mäwby
05-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Tao Tao Lancer 150

I've had this problem after the first time I rode it. It slowly died and cut off on my way to work. Had a friend give me a jump. Partly made it to work. Got another jump then made it work. Eventually it died. Battery wouldn't even supply enough power to turn over. Recharged battery, noticed turn signals would work sporadically.

Is it a bad battery, stator, voltage regulator or something else? I'm going to buy a new battery. If it dies and then there is no power to even turn over I'm sure it's an electrical issue, but where? Did valve adjustment, installed new high performance CDI, ignition coil and spark plug. Please help!:hmm::cheers:

Definitely buying a high end scooter next time. Didn't realize I would have this much trouble.

I haven't been able to enjoy this ---> :scoot::scoot:

:no::no:

Irish
05-11-2016, 01:23 PM
This is just a guess but it might help you. Perhaps your battery is sulfated. Many people don't realize that a sulfated battery will take a charge but it won't hold it!:tdown::shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. I had that problem with a sulfated battery myself.:s

bull
05-11-2016, 04:38 PM
There are several possibilities and they need to be approached logically. Failing to understand the system and just throwing parts at it MIGHT fix it, but the amount of money and frustration will usually be too much and the rider takes it out on an otherwise good scooter.

Based solely upon your symptoms I would guess the charging system has failed, more specifically the stator. Depending on how and what was used for "jump starting" there could be more damage.

The ignition system is self powered from a single coil on the stator that is independent from the charging coils. This part has to be working or the scooter would not start.

The stator charging coils supply power to run the lights, recharge the battery AND power to turn off the auto choke. IF the auto choke never turns off, as the scooter warms up the mixture could get so rich as to cause it to stall especially if the idle speed is too low.

IF the jump start was done wrong, it could have damaged the regulator, fuse and scooter wiring.

Irish may also be correct, but the only way to know for sure is test and NOT guess.

rks
05-11-2016, 06:12 PM
I have a few questions for you:

1) Is this the new scooter that you just bought?
2) Have you done a PDI on it? ( I'm beginning to sound like a broken record)
3) If you have, did you remove all of the body panels? This is necessary to gain access to all of the wiring connectors, chassis grounds, etc. Sometimes the connectors are not fully snapped together from the factory. Check battery cable ends for tightness (both ends of ground, and positive cables).
4) Why are you putting performance parts on a new scooter? They are unnecessary.....I just started the 5th season with my Chinese scoot, have had zero breakdowns, now at 9500 miles, still has the factory CDI, coil with plug wire, and spark plug......and is still averaging 87 mpg.

Your scooter is showing the classic symtoms of an improperly prepared one. Without a good PDI.....your problems will be non stop.... one after the other.

Mäwby
05-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Being new to scooters, I replaced parts because some forums stated to install the upgrades if I wanted better performance out of the scooter.

Here's the symptoms in detail. If I charge the batter in full, it will run for about an hour if I'm riding in a parking lot, then sit while running, ride a little bit, then sit while still running. Eventually it will cut off, then the battery will die completely after a few attempts to restart. Once I charge the battery for about 15 min to a half hour the bike will start, but shut off within 5 minutes? Does it sound like the battery/stator/regulator. I will also get a voltmeter tomorrow to check the output when idling and throttling, then provide the update.

Mäwby
05-12-2016, 12:00 PM
I have a few questions for you:

1) Is this the new scooter that you just bought?
2) Have you done a PDI on it? ( I'm beginning to sound like a broken record)
3) If you have, did you remove all of the body panels? This is necessary to gain access to all of the wiring connectors, chassis grounds, etc. Sometimes the connectors are not fully snapped together from the factory. Check battery cable ends for tightness (both ends of ground, and positive cables).
4) Why are you putting performance parts on a new scooter? They are unnecessary.....I just started the 5th season with my Chinese scoot, have had zero breakdowns, now at 9500 miles, still has the factory CDI, coil with plug wire, and spark plug......and is still averaging 87 mpg.

Your scooter is showing the classic symtoms of an improperly prepared one. Without a good PDI.....your problems will be non stop.... one after the other.
And yes, I did an pretty good PDI, and everything look fine before I made any upgrades.