PDA

View Full Version : 150 uphill

KLR
05-10-2016, 10:30 PM
Hi, new to scooting and want to get something for my 13.5 mile commute. Almost all of this is flat and highway speed but there's one stretch over perhaps a mile with perhaps a 2.5% grade - I can't figure it out looking at topo maps. Steep, not the steepest but nevertheless, is your typical 150 up to the task of climbing such an obstacle 5 days a week, or am I just going to wear out the engine pronto, and should look for a 250?

Truthfully the more I read about it all the more I'm set on a 250 anyway but thought I'd ask you all about your experiences with pushing 150s uphill.

blueboy5000
05-11-2016, 06:18 AM
I ride on crazy steep hills all the time w my 157qmj. 150cc can handle hills NP.

rks
05-11-2016, 07:47 AM
I would be less concerned about a 150's hill climbing ability, and more concerned about a steady diet of highway speeds. I have no problem with the 10%+ grades I encounter every time I take the scooter out.......but I don't run highway speeds ever. My scooter rarely sees 6000 rpm's....most of the time it's somewhere between 5400 and 5700, and at this rpm, will pull a 10% grade without a drop in speed, and without using full throttle.

If by "flat and highway speed" you meant you need to be doing 55 - 60 mph.....you better pick the 250. They are much better suited to running an open road.

cheapeto
05-11-2016, 09:16 AM
IMHO, I'll say this, my 150 would do it just fine and all, but I also think the riders body weight, (big fat guy here) what you may carry with you, tools, lunch box, riding gear, all should be considered.
As rks stated, it's those WOT highway miles you will ride, that will be the reason for a 250 over the 150, for a long term endurance as a daily driver.

There are some great buys for badged scooters, 3-5 years old, in the 250cc range, and many under 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

AND, if you have a pick up truck, and are willing to drive some miles, you will find some fantastic deals, from desperate sellers, estate sales and what not...but you got to jump to get them for cheap.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

KLR
05-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. Didn't think about estate sales. I'm already searching Craigslist for all sorts of makes/models and will see if any big sales are trying to get rid of scoots too.