PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea 150 BMS buzzing noise?

twinx
04-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Hi from Michigan:
I just took delivery of 3 Chelsea 150's and have a strange resonance noise from all three. It happens during part throttle and sounds a lot like a heat shield or something like that. The sounds is worse at heavier throttle loads (still breaking-in so not that heavy) and sounds like something that will need immediate attention, if you know what I mean. Overall, very pleased so far and the paint is beautiful considering the price point of these units. As far as quality is concerned the PDI and necessary repairs are taking a while to get sorted out.

Thanks for any input.

Jim Mc.

rks
05-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Although I have a completely different scooter than you, I've had an annoying sound like that since day one. Even at the same throttle setting you describe.....no noise when cruising along, but hit a grade, and crack the throttle some....that damn rattle is back. I even removed the heat shield from the muffler, thinking that was the cause......nope, something still rattled. Turned out to be the rear disc brake design.....the way the caliper floats on the pins. Four years later it still does it, I've learned to live with it, and have noticed no ill effects because of it....brake works fine, original pads still in good shape, etc.

I know the above isn't your problem, because you have a rear drum brake.....but if all three of your scooters are doing this, I have to believe it's one of these design things, and not something about to fail, or fall off. The Chelsea is a fine looking scoot, and with all of the body trim pieces, I suppose one of them could be the cause..... you've probably checked those....and with all three scooters acting the same, I wouldn't worry too much.

twinx
05-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the input, I was hoping someone else solved the problem since all 3 have the same annoying buzzing issue. With harder acceleration the noise gets pretty bad. I'm still going through the PDI issues as they come up. I love the styling but all that plastic body work makes it difficult to work on. I tried removing the side panels but fear of breaking the plastic retaining features prevented me from doing so.

I also have Steelman Chassis Ears so I can clip on sensors to different components and keep sorting out the noise source.

Thanks for your help

rks
05-02-2016, 10:23 AM
I have one of the wife's old hair driers in the the shop, specifically for use on those plastic tabs. Don't want to melt them, but just a little warming makes them much more flexible....less brittle.

twinx
05-02-2016, 10:53 AM
The hair dryer is a great idea... thanks for sharing.