PDA

View Full Version : Will it be safe?

Janefin
04-20-2016, 09:33 PM
I know a 50cc is safe for most roads, unfortunately NC law has made it to where you can only go 30MPH without a license. But I know a motor scooter is different than a car.

Since I know you ride on the sides, my question is would going 30MPH be safe on a 45MPH road?

skyrider
04-21-2016, 12:14 PM
30mph on a 45mph is equivalent to a car going 45 on a 70mph highway. Plus cars are going prob 50mph and 70mph or more. A slow car like that is very dangerous and IMHO the same is true of a scoot. Judging speed and distance on a slower vehicle from behind and from cars pulling out in front is also dangerous . I go side roads whenever possible and if the speed is 35 or 45 only short distances if I have to and only do it on 4 lane roads and stay in the right lane. On a single lane I will stay on the right and let cars pass.
If you have no side roads at 25mph I would get a 150cc.

Janefin
04-21-2016, 02:24 PM
I had a feeling but couldn't hurt to ask an expert.

I want 150cc motor scooter, what I get depends on the law here, atm I dont think you need a license here in NC but I just want to be sure.

Any good places online to buy a motor scooter other than craigslist?

cheapeto
04-21-2016, 04:11 PM
I was riding with a couple of guys, in NC a couple of years ago. Me and another Big Ruckus, and a 50cc T2 Zuma.
I had a hard time keeping up with that T2...until 50 followed him, pulled him over, as he was doing 47 mph.
The cop was very decent, did not ticket him, but told him to stay under 30, until we got to the hotel like, 25 miles away.
Man, we rode support for him....and were folks pissed, on the 4 laner.
Get a 150.
I started with a 150, and knew after 2-300 miles I needed more power for my fat ass. Now I love the 250 I have.

EDIT;
If your not mechanically inclined, I would suggest a branded older model, they all make good machines.
If you go china, try and get the best name you can afford. They have come along way as far as dependability.

Janefin
04-21-2016, 06:04 PM
thanks, I am going to get a 150cc or 250cc might as well, because I will need a DL for a 50cc to go faster than 30 anyway, stupid law.

skyrider
04-22-2016, 07:32 AM
I would go local. That way if there is a "warrantee" problem you wouldn't have to ship and for example there are some excellent craigslist local dealers here in Richmond. Certainly there are some where you live. Try to go new and follow the suggestions somewhere on this site for new scoot maintence. If you go used this site can help you with any problems and even selection. Just remember the faster you go the more dangerous it can become so make sure you are thorough in training for the motorcycle license and get the proper helmet and safety clothing.

wheelbender6
04-24-2016, 10:29 AM
Most mainland Chinese scoots require some troubleshooting, so they probably will not work well for you, unless you have a mechanic friend.
Scooters from Taiwan like Genuine and Kymco cost more, but are more reliable. Taiwanese dealers are not easy to find outside of big metro areas.
You may find a used Japanese scooter at a local motorcycle dealer. You may find something like a used Yamaha Vino 125 for half of the new price.
I would avoid craigslist unless you a have a friend that works on motorcycles and is willing to look at some scooters for you. Craigslist is a good place for experienced scooter/motorcycle shoppers.
I think finding a used scooter at a Japanese motorcycle shop is probably best for you.