PDA

View Full Version : Scooter starts with starter fluid, then dies

Whack51
03-17-2016, 02:56 AM
I have a JCL 150cc GY6 scooter. I didn't ride it much during the winter, but I did take it around the block at least every couple weeks. Now that the weather has been nice, I wanted to take it out. It started a little rough, as expected, but then sputtered and died after several seconds. Since then, I have not been able to keep it running. The engine cranks just fine and will fire and start up if I spray starter fluid or gas into the intake, but once that burns out it dies.
So far, I have replaced the vacuum lines and drained the old gas and put fresh gas in. I have also disassembled the carburetor and clean the whole thing. Every part of the carb, including the jets are spotless. It is getting gas through the line and into the carb bowl, but for some reason it is not getting into the intake.
Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

bull
03-17-2016, 11:40 AM
based on your description and a large number of scooter carbs i've built, i would say that the carb is still stopped up, or the cold start is not working.

to test my theory, remove the a/f box and while cranking the engine hand choke the carb and see it is starts

Whack51
03-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Hand choking is not working. I have done that before when it was really cold outside, and it helped, but now it does nothing. It is acting like the carb is stopped up, but it is completely clean. I even checked all of the holes in each of the jets. It is all smooth and shiny inside.

Whack51
03-18-2016, 11:30 PM
I ordered a rebuild kit for the carburetor today, just in case. In a couple days, I'll put that in and see if it helps.

blueboy5000
03-19-2016, 04:52 AM
I would have just ordered a new 24mm carb, they're only 20 dollars.

Shadowfire
03-26-2016, 05:38 PM
I'll go with "didn't get quite everything when you cleaned up the carburetor".
When cleaning the carburetor out, its easy to miss the passage between the main float bowl and cold start (bystarter) bowl. If its still plugged up, gas can't travel to the bystarter and it won't enrich the air when the engine is cold and cold starting will be impossible.
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Bystarter:_What_It_Is,_What_It_Do es
This page shows where the bystarter passage is typically located (in the float bowl).