PDA

View Full Version : taotao lancer 150 power drain issue

SkyfangR
11-09-2015, 11:35 AM
hello all. first time posting here

so i had a plethora of problems, but i've managed to isolate the root cause of all of them.

when the bike is running, and the stator is unplugged (not powering anything but the motor) im getting 20-30 volts AC from the yellow and white wires on the stator.

as soon as i plug the stator into the rest of the bike however, the volts plummet to a measly 5-7 volts AC

it is not the regulator. it was just replaced, and i have 2 other brand new ones for spares, and they all give the same readings

it shouldnt be the stator, as i just replaced it at the beginning of october.

i also replaced the wire harness, the ignition coil, the cdi, the spark plug, and the battery at the same time.

all the ground wires i can find are tightly secured with no loose connections on them.

i'm having a hell of a time trying to figure this out.

the battery is charging, so i can ride it and still have blinkers and such, but i have no headlights because i have not enough voltage going to them from the stator. so i cant do pretty much any of my normal acitivies because they start around dusk. no headlights = bad

EDIT: it seems unplugging the headlights completely from the bike fixes all the problems except the headlight issue.

something in the headlights is causing a huge power drain, but i cant figure out what. the wires look good, and the connections are solid. maybe the bulbs are bad

SkyfangR
11-11-2015, 07:54 PM
i figured out the problem.

a combination of part of the bulb filaments touching metal inside the bulb, and a bad wire in the headlight wire harness was my culprit. sucking up huge amounts of power

Gene563
11-13-2015, 02:45 AM
Welcome to the forum.
I'd like to know a little more about your Lancer.

I too, own a Lancer, I bought it this past June (2014 model) and currently have about 1,000 miles on it. I have had some problems with the choke and charging. The latest issue (charging) seems to be corrected now. I re-arranged the leads to the rectifier to correct charging voltage and headlight function. I've done a few modifications to it, mainly for appearance.