PDA

View Full Version : Variator question

Jiujiteiro702
10-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Should I buy a new variator for my VIP or just add slider style weights to the stock variator? I just bought my 1st scooter so I'm kinda new.

cheapeto
10-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Depends on what your after, mileage or quicker off the line.
Most scooters run fine with factory roller weights.
I swapped mine out with 3- 17 grams DR.Pulley rollers, and 3-20 gram Dr.Pulley sliders, for my 250 cc BR.
It came with 156 grams of rollers, sucked off the line, a long slow climb to 55 mph, then it would get up to 65-70 mph, and then with terrain bounce between 65-75 mph.
BUT I gave up the better gas mileage for the much better jump off the line, and keeping the top end.
My last change will be swapping final drive gears, if I can ever get Polini to answer my emails. That may be the 4-6 mph I need at the top end, when I take the BR for nice long 1500 mile run for a few days.
We'll see, I'm not much of a scooter mechanic, I'm sure others have much better advice for you.
I've been lucky to follow on how other BR owners are tweaking theirs, for every bit of power we can get from them....without machine work.

Jiujiteiro702
10-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the reply

Irish
10-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Depends on what your after, mileage or quicker off the line.
Most scooters run fine with factory roller weights.
I swapped mine out with 3- 17 grams DR.Pulley rollers, and 3-20 gram Dr.Pulley sliders, for my 250 cc BR.
It came with 156 grams of rollers, sucked off the line, a long slow climb to 55 mph, then it would get up to 65-70 mph, and then with terrain bounce between 65-75 mph.
BUT I gave up the better gas mileage for the much better jump off the line, and keeping the top end.
My last change will be swapping final drive gears, if I can ever get Polini to answer my emails. That may be the 4-6 mph I need at the top end, when I take the BR for nice long 1500 mile run for a few days.
We'll see, I'm not much of a scooter mechanic, I'm sure others have much better advice for you.
I've been lucky to follow on how other BR owners are tweaking theirs, for every bit of power we can get from them....without machine work.

You talked about them not answering(sp?) your e-mails. With my last bike , that I bought thru Saferwholesale.com(big mistake)I had to phone them in order to get any results. You might have to do that! It's a pain but your co. probably has a better result with their customer than Saferwholesale.com.:tdown: Irish:scoot::nuts:
P.S. Sorry to change the subject but I'm trying to help & keep someone from going thru the same runaround that I had!

blueboy5000
10-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Yes you should change your variator to a steep-ramp style variator such as a KOSO, NCY or Mallossi with FLAT SLIDER weights.

A gy6 139qmb/j is a 50cc, it likes 6-7g flat sliders

A gy6 157qmb/j is a 150cc, it likes 11 to 13g flat sliders

skyrider
10-10-2015, 08:09 AM
I still have stock variator and have 4.5 rollers to get me up the hills at 200lbs. Slow off start, then maintains speed nicely with good speed/power up hills. Quingqui 2012. (Got my advice on rollers from chinesescooterforum)

dwint51
10-14-2015, 02:51 PM
koso variator and sliders gave me 5 mph more.cheap way for speed and take off