PDA

View Full Version : Possible future scooter owner in Reno, NV

Arro
09-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone. I'm seriously interested in a scooter as a means of getting to the university and back (about five or so miles away) and as a backup ride... I have a car for a daily driver right now (Dodge SRT-4).

I originally went on a Facebook group and mentioned some Chinese bikes like Zummer and Ice Bear and got mixed reactions. So I'm looking to learn more about the good and bad of Chinese scooters. I really want the Ruckus or ZOOmer look but without the Honda pricetag.

I should mention I am very mechanically inclinded, having done a few motor swaps in more modern cars, and with a fairly good toolset aimed towards automotive... so maintenance, repair, and modification isn't something I am afraid of. I just know next to nothing about scooters... is there a common format, who is copying who, getting parts, hybriding motors or drivetrains or chassis parts... and so on.

kz1000st
09-27-2015, 11:05 AM
You have to ask yourself what you're looking for in transportation. Fun or dependability? A used Japanese scooter is usually a rock solid investment but a trifle mundane. A Chinese scooter can fill the bill but must be ridden with some restraint. Unless you enjoy working on it. I have many miles on mine, have done a few repairs and they keep on humming. Znen built scooters are best followed by Tao Tao and then Bashan. Newer ones are better than older ones as the Chinese, and the importers here, have picked up the quality.

wheelbender6
09-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. If you are mechanically inclined, you will probably be happy with a Chinese scoot. If you only want ride it and take it to the dealer for service, a used Taiwanese, Korean or Japanese scooter will make you happier.

Admin
09-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Welcome to ScootDawg! :tup: