PDA

View Full Version : Fried Harness

stugauts
09-15-2015, 06:57 PM
I recently bought a Lance GSR 150. A twist of one of the rearviews apparently resulted in the front wiring harness melting down all the way to the battery due to a short in the wires going to the rearview turn signal. I am searching for a wiring harness on line, but I've had trouble finding an exact match. The lady I talked to at one web site was a huge help but the connectors on the harness she pointed me to just don't add up. My harness has the light bulbs for the dash along with the signals for the rearviews. Are the harnesses on these sights just the rear i.e. to the engine and accompanying components or am I missing something here. Ideally I would like to purchase the entirety of wiring and just change it all out to start fresh. Any education you can throw my way will be much appreciated.

Irish
09-16-2015, 08:31 AM
I had just about the same thing happen on a NEW bike. Make sure that it didn't ruin your battery also. Just trying to help you out! Irish

stugauts
09-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Good looking out, Irish. I'll do that

stugauts
09-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Alright, this is what I've come up with so far. The section of the wiring harness I'm needing is referred to as the speedometer wiring harness. It has the bulbs in it. Now on partsforscooters they have the 164-190 speedo harness, under supported models it lists the x-treme 150 and this platform looks exactly like my Lance 150. Is there any reason to doubt that it will fit my scoot. They have all the same accessories such as turn signal rearviews along with the same instrument cluster. I can't tell if it has the ABS like mine but I don't think that mechanism is electrically assisted.

stugauts
09-16-2015, 05:44 PM
I've found out that I have a DC rectifier and stator. The 6 pin wide rectifier led me to this conclusion. This is about the hardest harness to find. I think I will have to explore other options now.

Shadowfire
09-17-2015, 10:36 PM
I know this isn't helpful, but this is yet another reason to be wary of many Chinese bikes. The wiring clearly wasn't designed by someone competent to do so, if a short to ground results in a blown wire instead of a blown fuse.

This should only be possible in the first few inches of wire coming off the battery or between the generator and regulator.

blueboy5000
09-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Its unlikely your system is DC fired, most Lance are AC.

Lance are not Chinese, they are Taiwanese.

It is not uncommon for shorts to cause fires in all makes of bike. Chinese scooters are no more prone to fires than other bikes.

blueboy5000
09-18-2015, 01:58 PM
The gy6 universal harness will work fine. You will also have to replace any burned components.

stugauts
09-18-2015, 08:55 PM
This is the wiring on my regulator and cdi, just to further verify whether it's DC or AC