PDA

View Full Version : A Most Interesting Article

kz1000st
08-21-2015, 05:19 PM
I think it's about time someone touted the benefits of increased motorcycle and scooter use.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/08/article/backmarker-motorcycle-riding-as-a-social-benefit/

wheelbender6
08-22-2015, 08:59 AM
I agree with most of the article. Advertisements for most motorcycles usually tout freedom, performance and style, rather than thriftiness. However, the amount of under 500cc street motorcycles available in the US in recent years has grown a lot and continues to grow. Seeing more small motorcycles on the street in rush hour should influence Deloitte to take motorcycle commuting more seriously.
Bicycle commuting requires suitable streets, milder weather and a reasonable commute distance. Scooters and motorcycles can safely (relatively) travel roads that would be unsafe for bicycles due to factors like speed limit and lane width.
When I lived in the Phoenix area, there were plenty of streets with bike lines, so I often took the bicycle to work. I felt safe on a bicycle so I didn't consider a scooter or motorcycle.
When I moved to the Houston area, most roads were and are unsafe for bicycle commuting (in my opinion). I cycled on the sidewalk and couldn't cycle to work. If bicycle commuting was safer in the Houston area, I may have never bought a scooter.