PDA

View Full Version : 170cc scooter problem

envdevo9
07-30-2015, 12:15 PM
I have a bbk on my 150cc. Right now im having problem with my electrical system. I have a fully charged battery on the scooter, i hooked up a multimeter to it and it reads 12.50ish with the engine running. But it starts jumping to 7.30ish and then back to 12.50ish. Im not on the throttle at all. Not sure if maybe something to do with my stator or regulator?

Thanks

bull
07-30-2015, 03:06 PM
First confirm those #s with a different DMM. If they are accurate, turn scooter off, clean battery cables and posts, check for corrosion on stator harness to chassis and or regulator. If no corrosion, disconnect stator to chassis connector, set DMM to ACv, check output at each yellow wire from stator to ground with engine running. Each phase should be the same. If OK, check DCv output from regulator, if OK, substitute a known good battery and retest.

Anything that fails the testing through the diagnostic steps, replace with known good.

Nominal output charging voltage @ 2k to 3k steady rpm should be 13.1 DCv or better.

envdevo9
07-30-2015, 03:35 PM
It also seems that when i have the scooter running, my head lights are dim, once i give it throttle it gets brighter. I searched around and it might be the regulator but rather do some testing first. Whats your theory for the headlights?
Thanks

envdevo9
08-23-2015, 12:36 AM
Changed the stator and regulator, still have the same problem. I also think i have a ground problem. Where are the factory grounds? Right now im running 8 gauge wire from the frame to the valve cover, then from the same valve cover bolt to my battery turminal. I also have a tiada starter, which came with a thicker wire, i put 8 guage wire from the starter solenoid to the battery also.

My headlights are dim, when i ride they get alot brighter, also i notice today, i was holding down the brake handle and start button, it wasnt starting, the battey was low, but the strange thing is it still made noice a few times near the stator, even though i had already taken my hand off the brake and starter button.