PDA

View Full Version : Checking on Engine Temp

Ebuddy
07-11-2015, 08:03 PM
I've gotten brave and taken my MC-54-250 (Helix) out on the freeway a few times and wanted to know if anybody had any opinions on the engine temp.

Running around town, in stop-and-go, and going a maximum of 45 mph or so for short distances, the temp stays pretty consistent in the "1/4" mark.

On the highway at just a hair under WOT (~64 mph [GPS verified}] and between 6,000 and 6,200 RPM [270 lbs. rider]), after about 6-10 miles, the temp is reading just a hair over "1/2". The scoot otherwise seems to drive and ride just fine. There's a tiny bit of throttle left, but I'm hesitant to push it all the way to WOT and leave it there.

My question for the masses is whether or not that temp is "OK" and if I can continue to run the scoot at that temp and speed for a certain period of time.

Shadowfire
07-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Extended WoT on the highway leaves me at a little under the 1/2way mark on my thermostat on my YY250T (Helix engine clone) (6500ish rpm / 70mph, which is the fastest it will go with my fat ass in the seat). I'd say go ahead and push it, if you're not getting a boilover, then the system is working properly.

I'd be more worried about burning up belts. When I first got mine (which already had 450 miles on it), I could smell burning rubber whenever I went WOT. I replaced the belt with a Kevlar one, and cleaned the variator/pulley belt surfaces and clutch pads (severely glazed)/clutch bell housing with scotchbrite and brake cleaner, and the problem went away.

Ebuddy
07-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Good head's up...thanks!

Fortunately, the variator and clutch are new (from ScrappyDog) and the belt (Kevlar) was in great condition when I got it. Without pretty beefy modifications, it seems that 70 mph is pretty much the top end on these. I'm OK with that, generally as I only need to go that fast over fairly short (~10 miles) distances. =)