PDA

View Full Version : Is poor shifting the clutch, variator or gear box?

scosgt
07-11-2015, 01:29 AM
My 2012 EVO is "hanging" in a higher gear until it gets down to about 13 MPH, then it releases to low gear. So if I am riding at 16 MPH and accelerate, there is a little hesitation and lugging because I am not in the right gear.

Would this be a problem with the clutch, variator or gear box? Note: I have a new belt and rollers installed, done by the dealer.

Ebuddy
07-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Could be either, but my $$$ would be on the clutch. You should be ably to remove the CVT cover and throttle the bike while observing the behavior of both. There are lots of YouTube videos that demonstrate how they should look.

scosgt
07-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Put in a new factory clutch, it was WORSE!
Changed the rollers, just in case. Looks like a trip to the dealer, I am at at the end of my skills.

Shadowfire
07-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Something is either not lubricated, installed incorrectly, or damaged in the variator or the rear pulley.

scosgt
07-12-2015, 08:57 PM
I fixed it! Changed the rollers (one was installed backwards, do not know if that makes any difference) and they only had 200 miles on them. But I pulled them, cleaned the variator with carb cleaner, and put in brand new rollers, oriented as per the service manual.
VOILA!
It runs the way it is supposed to now.

Just ordered Dr Pulley 16g sliders. That will smooth it out even more. May have had a defective roller that was sticking, that seems the most likely cause.

blueboy5000
07-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Next time, use brake parts cleaner instead of carb cleaner. Carb cleaner leaves more residue.