PDA

View Full Version : Used 2009 Roketa 54 250B - Should I Buy?

RoketaMaybe
07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Hello everyone! I have been reading everything I can on these forums absorbing a lot of information in the last 2-3 days. I know someone with a 2009 Roketa 54-250B with about 5000 miles on it. The only thing that I know of that needs fixed immediately is both brakes, front and back; don't work. He's asking around $750 for it. I plan on doing a full PDI on it before I put it on the road with me riding it.

Would it be better to get this at this low price or would it just be better to get a brand new one (back order on multiple supplier websites)? It seems like I'd have to invest some money into the $750 one anyways and even a new one on valve stems, inline fuel filter, fuel hose, vacuum hoses, etc.

Also what's the turnover time for parts on this particular scooter? I know I can order parts directly from Roketa's website but with these being popular overseas and being on back order in the United States; I'm afraid it'd take 30-60 days just to get a part.

Sorry for the long post! I can afford either one currently. I may stop by today to snap some pictures but it's the black painted one. Thanks for reading!

bull
07-08-2015, 05:04 PM
None of us can answer that question as you are the only one that can make that decision.

But with that said and the reduced quality and weights of the 2014 & 2015 scooters I have seen this year, I would prefer to have an older unit.

The new units have had metal removed to make them lighter and save manufacturing money, but they no longer can haul the same weight. The carbs on the new units are sealed (minor problem) but the rubber components do not like ethanol. In fact Ethanol melts them. Care to guess where the rubber from those pieces goes??

At first, I thought my observations were from the one brand only, but like most things from China all their makers seem to share everything. Saw this problem on a 250cc chinese dirt back purchased only 3 weeks ago and developed a minor performance problem.

I now suggest anyone that has purchased a 2015 to immediately buy a replacement carb and install it.

Shadowfire
07-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Either way be prepared to turn a wrench. I'd liken the Chinese scooters to an early 1970's American car: They didn't do things very well at the factory, so expect problems.

RoketaMaybe
07-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I do agree that the older, used one with 5,000 miles would probably be the better buy as he's had it serviced up until the point he didn't ride it anymore. I would still tear it completely down and treat it as if it were new doing a full PDI. But another thing to consider is the fact I haven't rode a dirt bike/motorcycle/scooter/moped in a very long time. So without experience; perhaps getting something that's 50cc would be a better investment to see if I actually /like/ riding one; which honestly, I liken riding a bike/atv to a rollercoaster and the thrill is worth it.

So, Amazon has the Taotao ATM50-A1 50cc for around $599 + $155 shipping. Plus I can 0% finance it for around 12 months. And there's a 13 episode or so youtube series on a complete PDI of this exact model on Youtube to help me out. At least I would also get used to riding plus get used to doing maintenance/PDIs and fixing any problems that may come up.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll probably make my decision by the end of the day what I'm going to do.

Ebuddy
07-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Keep in mind that licensing in some states require a motorcycle endorsement for anything over 50cc though if you have one already it probably doesn't matter. I don't have the "B" version, but I've been pleased with my 2008. I only paid $600 for it and had to sink about $150 in parts (variator & clutch). Over the last 7 years, I've had only 3 scoots - all Chinese, a 50cc, 150 and now the 250. I committed that I'd buy these on the chap and then learn to service them myself. Then, when I'm confident I can pretty much fix anything myself, I'll blow some real $ and buy something nice and new. If you're willing to make a similar trade off and the brake issue isn't really odd, then I'd say you're thinking about it the right way.