PDA

View Full Version : Starter is just spinning?

slipknot2live
06-16-2015, 11:02 PM
I hit a big bump on my jcl 250a and my engine sputtered all the way back to the house. I had to restart it 3 times before the driveway.... I went for a closer look and found that my intake had been knocked looose, which I repaired but on the 3rd attempt to start it, my started just made a whirring sound...I have a charged battery, and I tried jumping the started off the solenoid and it made the same sound.
Any ideas? :shrug:

bull
06-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Does it have the Honda Helix clone engine? If so the one way clutch may have failed or just hung up.

slipknot2live
06-17-2015, 10:16 AM
It has the linhai horizontal.

bull
06-18-2015, 05:59 AM
According to the parts listings for that engine on this pg:

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/parts_asse/asseModes/asseby_engine/paID/46

it looks like it might have the same setup as the Roketa. If it does, it is doubtful that the one way clutch failed from just cranking unless you were keeping it cranking for a long time. I would pull the starter off and see if anything is easily visible.

If not, prepare yourself for engine disassembly by buying the tools and gaskets needed.

Shadowfire
06-21-2015, 01:10 PM
Is the starter motor the type that must push out to engage the starting mechanism? If it is, make sure that the battery is charged up, a weak battery will cause it to spin but it won't be able to overcome the spring and engage the starter gear.