PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Carb Cautions

bull
06-11-2015, 10:59 AM
I have seen something on these carbs enough to say that it is a normal condition and thought I would warn others to help you save some money.

This info is relevant to the PD19 J carbs on 2014 & 2015 50cc gy6 scooters. It may be valid on other older model years.

As you all know, if you park your scooter for any extended amount of time, you should drain the fuel from the carb float bowl. This is a good idea and that is why the drain was installed at the factory.

However what has not been considered or discussed is the rubber diaphragm around the variable venturi piston top. I have seen quite a few of these late MY diaphragms that are literally melted away from old fuel vapors. It softens the rubber so much that it becomes like putty.

Removing the top, plus spring and variable venturi piston, allowing them to air dry and placing them in a plastic storage bag could save many from buying a carb unnecessarily.

If yours has not turned to putty and or you want to open up the float bowl to change jets or clean up, a Dremel with a reinforced cut off wheel makes a nice slot quickly in the brass heads which remain after the factory seal, the screws can easily be removed afterwards with a quality flat blade screwdriver.