PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having this issue?

Houndguy
06-04-2015, 04:12 PM
I ride a Kymco Xciting 500. I started having issues with starting so I replaced the battery and the rectifier.

I've not replaced the spark plug or it's wires but there does not seem to be a issue there.

Anyhow...I go to start it up and it's completly dead. I pop the seat undo the plastic battery cover and the trunk light comes on. OK, I tighen the cables and replace the cover....turn the key and nothing. NADA! ZIP!

Remove the cover and up she starts. Over and over again. I replace the cover....nada.

Looking at the battery cable it looks like it's rubbing against the case and that is causing a short.

Is there a way to keep the battery in place without replacing the cover? Should I...can I ride that way?
:shrug2:

Thanks all.

rks
06-05-2015, 04:57 AM
I don't have a Kymco, so I'm not familiar with the battery box layout, but if you have something shorting out, you would have sparks flying, melted wire insulation, or a blown fuse that would not repair itself as soon as you removed the cover. So that leaves a bad or loose connection at the battery terminals, a bad cable or cable end, or a bad ground where negative attaches to the frame.

When you replaced the battery did you get one with the same dimensions, or larger than the original?
Did you route the battery cables in a different way? Doesn't seem to me that a battery box cover should be coming in contact with the cables, but sounds like yours does, and there is an adjustment needed.

Shadowfire
06-05-2015, 07:52 PM
When you close the case and it hits the wires, it isn't causing a short.
Its actually moving the wire, and causing something to break the connection.
Most likely, a connector somewhere needs to be replaced.

Houndguy
06-05-2015, 11:28 PM
When you close the case and it hits the wires, it isn't causing a short.
Its actually moving the wire, and causing something to break the connection.
Most likely, a connector somewhere needs to be replaced.

That makes perfect sense to me. But it's not happening all the time. So it's got to be how that battery is sitting. I'm thinking more and more that's its a bad cable. :shrug2:

kz1000st
06-08-2015, 04:17 PM
You know, this might be out in left field, but did you check and see if the battery post itself is OK. It might be flexing somehow and breaking the connection internally. I would try tugging on it and see if it moves. Of all things, a broken battery might be your issue.

Houndguy
06-09-2015, 08:43 AM
You know, this might be out in left field, but did you check and see if the battery post itself is OK. It might be flexing somehow and breaking the connection internally. I would try tugging on it and see if it moves. Of all things, a broken battery might be your issue.

I suppose that's possible but I just changed out the old battery for a new battery in Jan. http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com/search/label/battery

:shrug2: I took it to my mechanic and we will let them figure it out. It's making me :nuts: