PDA

View Full Version : Is your scooter getting better with age?

rks
06-03-2015, 10:07 AM
I read a post by one of our members recently, that mentioned how our scooters run better as the miles build up. I don't mean after a 1000 mile breakin period, but farther down the road, like after 5, 7, or 8000 miles.

Wonder if other members here have noticed this with their rides.

I know I have, and I totally agree with the author of the post I mentioned, that with proper maintenance, and a sensible operator, the GY6 runs better and better as miles climb. On a recent ride, I couldn't help but notice how snappy or responsive my scoots throttle felt....thought to myself, must be something to do with air temp and humidity being just right, or maybe that fresh oil change I did at 6400 miles. But in reality, I believe it is just the engine running better with age. Here is why I say that:

Last year I ran the scoot 2773 miles, and averaged 84.9 mpg for the season.
So far this year, after my last fillup (7th of the year), I have run 644 miles, and averaged 87.04 mpg. I'm running the same roads, in the same manner, no improvements or new parts to the drivetrain, haven't changed to a super slippery purple oil, use the same old conventional diesel oil, I buy all of the fuel I use at only one gas station, heck I even use the same pump, and I haven't lost 50 lbs. It has to be just a smoother, better running engine, due to miles. :scoot:

So...how many others have noticed this?

bull
06-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Yes, a well maintained scooter seems to get better with age or miles. I believe it has more to do with reduction of friction from normal wear.

kz1000st
06-13-2015, 05:05 AM
As I noted when I said my GY6 is nothing like it was at 1000 miles it just hums now at 8,800. I have used the "spare the revs technique" for most of its life. The real surprise has been the 50cc Cub clone. Keep in mind it's only 3 cubic inches and supposedly 3 horsepower. It will honestly indicate 50 mph on a level road and it isn't screaming in fourth gear. I'm sure 55 to 60 mph is possible on a long enough flat road but we don't have any here. It has gone from straining to do 25 when new to the bottle rocket of today with soft break in. It was so tight when I got it I believed the advertised top speed of 30 mph. It is conceivably twice as fast today.