PDA

View Full Version : Oh no...a part failed on my scoot

rks
05-08-2015, 07:00 AM
It's been running great, starting great....except lately, when the engine is warm, and has set for 5 or 10 minutes, it's been wanting a little throttle to start. This means mixture is too rich.....gotta be that infamous auto enricher....or so I thought.

But before I pull that, I pulled the vac line off the t-connecter by the carb, and sure enough, it was damp and smelled of gas. So I removed the fuel pump, instead of the enricher, covered the inlet and outlet nipples, turned it upside down, and gas poured out of the vacuum nipple.

New fuel pump to arrive in todays mail.....this one is rebuildable... a Mikuni DF44

So.... before you chuck your enricher, check your pump or petcock if vacuum operated.

bull
05-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Good sound diagnostic advice.

Recently had one that was emptying the float bowl overnite, IOW hard starting.

Everything looked good, no visible leakage and no fuel in the oil. But when the float bowl drain plug sat and cooled it was found to leak. Previous servicer had drained the bowl, but left it just loose enough to leak when cold.

rks
05-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Installed the new fuel pump yesterday.....no more running up to 3300 rpm's at idle when starting a warm engine. This symptom had started recently, and was what made me think the auto enricher was kaput.....changed my mind when I found gas in the vac side of the fuel pump.

Anyway....all is right with the scoot now.