PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first Moped(150cc)

TheFishMan
04-30-2015, 12:56 AM
So, I've finally decided to commit to saving some money up for a moped last month, and am just about ready to make my purchase. I am on a budget however- and this humble fish monger does not have much money to toss around at the moment..
I've done some research on the subject, and I have decided to go for a Chinese brand. I am more than willing to get my hands dirtier than they already are, and I believe it will be a good learning experience. However I'm not even sure where to begin. There are so many sellers, I don't know jack about maintenance, or what anything does. Now for assembly some YouTube videos and instructions will do me fine, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to the basic of learning how a bike works.

I've been looking at some TaoTao models. Some people swear by them. "With good care, and if you don't mind tinkering, they will serve you well" is what I hear a lot, and on the other hand the negativity regarding them is astounding. The one thing though that both sides mention(even sellers!) is that some parts/oil are to be replaced soon as the bike arrives.
I don't mind this. but can I use higher quality parts that a Vespa for example would use? Is it possible for Japanese, Korean, Chinese and European parts to be used with one another? I'm aware that for the most part that nearly all components, even the big name brand scoots ,are made in China or Taiwan so that leads me to believe its possible.

Have any of you had the pleasure(or displeasure) of buying a TaoTao? How are they, do they ride well, how long have you had yours, should I get a 12-14inch tire or just go for a 16? Can I upgrade to a bigger tire? Is this a good beginner scoot?

I apologize if a similar thread has been made in the past.

And please, if you are going to tell me to buy a "real" moped...then please just don't reply. I don't have the money to do so.

Thank you all
-FishMan

kz1000st
04-30-2015, 04:34 AM
Tao Tao makes a good scooter for someone who understands its limitations, is willing to put in the work doing preparation and ride it sensibly. The videos on Youtube give an accurate portrayal of what is needed to make the scooter safe and reliable.

As for how it rides. Understand that a bargain scooter will not ride as smoothly as a scooter from Honda or any other big name brand. The suspension is not as costly but does the job.

The people who import Tao Tao scooters don't sell junk. Almost all the negative reports you read about them come from people who have no prior experience in motorsports. They don't do the proper setup and then ride the scooters like rented mules with obvious results. Then they blame the scooter for failing.

Good luck in what ever you choose and keep in touch.

bull
04-30-2015, 06:59 AM
While KZ has given you some sound advice and insight you should also consider what others have said or done. Here is a link to a "Project Tao Tao" thread that contains lots of high quality information and you should read it all very thoroughly at least 2 or 3 times.

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/6365/project-taotao-stroke-experiences-upgrades

Since you are planning on ordering it and doing the PDI yourself, you might also consider buying a used scooter that runs and rides well. This will save you some money and time. Plus you will be less reluctant to dive into some future repair or upgrade.

I would add one other thought, you should consider other brands as well. Especially the Znen brand sold by a vendor / supporter of this forum, John Dikov.

TheFishMan
04-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Thank you both, I appreciate your answers very much.
KZ: I kind of figured the ride wouldn't be as smooth as a Honda, but then again it is a bargain scooter after all. I really only plan to commute to school and work with this. I walk to my job in roughly 15 minutes, however my school is a solid 10 minute drive and I don't wish to continue relying on the bus. So I should definitely be fine, but you know how it is over here in NY..Damn potholes all over the place

I am really digging the TaoTao ATM150a, however upon time of purchase I will report back with that I get in case I go a different route :)

Bull: I greatly appreciate the link, and the referral. I have considered a znen, and even lifan. My only problem was I could never find a website that seemed trustworthy that sold them lol. I will see what Mr.Dikov has to offer.

kz1000st
05-01-2015, 04:16 PM
These people have been around a long time and have a decent reputation. The scooters down below sold by BMS are Znen. The reason it costs more is that BMS uses stainless steel hardware and other upgraded parts on their scooters.

http://www.killermotorsports.com/150cc_Scooters_150_Gas_Mopeds_Cheap_150cc_s/408.htm

Such as this,

http://www.killermotorsports.com/BMS_150cc_Bemine_Gas_Scooter_Moped_p/bms1-bm-150.htm

Watch the video.

TheFishMan
05-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Reporting in: I went with a Layaway plan for a 2014 TaoTao CY-150-T-2B Quantum(Blue) from familygokarts.com. Very Excited, By 2 weeks it will be completely paid for and on its way.
I have however taken the liberty of purchasing a few items which have already been delivered. These include a NGK (7544) CR7HIX Iridium IX Spark Plug, Kevlar V-Belt(743-20-30). Blue medium strength Loc-tite. I will be purchasing my fuel and vacuum hoses, clamps, and oils from a auto-store which is a convenient 5 minute walk from my house.

I do want to change the exhaust, some people have also advised on changing the carb.. I'm honestly considering just going for a complete overhaul at this point, might as well considering I've already made this a project lol. Any advice, or recommended units?
Currently I'm looking at a new ignition coil and cdi set to order tonight.

Take care, FishMan

blueboy5000
05-05-2015, 07:48 AM
I'd get a set of lighter slider-weights for the variatior (11 or 12g) since you're swapping the belt. Lighter weights will give you better off-the-line acceleration.

kz1000st
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
You got the wrong belt. The 743 is the short case with 10" wheels. The 13" wheeled engine takes an 835 or 842-20-30.

I would get to know the scooter first and break it in before you start changing things. If you're taking into account things you've read on the web about rotting hoses and bad carburetors you've been led astray. My 2008 has the original hoses, carb, CDI, Coil and just about everything. You might pick up a mile an hour or two in top end but why play with a perfectly serviceable device. You could end up with a garage ornament.

blueboy5000
05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Yes that is correct, the 743 is the shortcase belt.

I agree that you should not do non-cvt mods until after you have finished a SOFT break-in. NEVER hard break in a gy6, I've personally watch three gy6 die early death because of hard break ins.

As to performance gains, it varies from individual bike to bike. Performance mods should not be a concern until you are very well familiar with the stock configuration.

TheFishMan
05-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Damn.. the guys at familygokarts seem to have mislead me with my belt choice :/ Regardless, I can still return it.

Well, speed is not my concern. I just don't want it to crap out on me while I'm on the road. I don't understand about the hoses though, perhaps you got lucky(Or them unlucky)? I don't believe people would lie about their hoses rotting.. I'll hold off on those repairs until the vehicle has been softly broken in however.

Now for the break in period, since it tops at 55( I weight 150lbs..so I got a feeling I may hit 58-60), does that mean I should be cruising around at 40-50 for the most part? Sorry If I sound pretty noobish guys

kz1000st
05-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Almost all of the rotting hose stories were written back in 2005. By 2008 the dealers were supplying decent tubing. After that hose changing was optional or at least a peace of mind gesture. Heck, I have the original tire valves and they're looking like brand new.

If the scooter is prepped well and used sensibly it won't crap out. In that vein, soft break in should be with varied rpm and the speed kept at or below 40 mph for at least 500 miles. Even after that these things are not meant for wide open running. They're just not built for it. I keep my 150 at or below 45 mph. Neither the materials or cooling system are built for flogging.

I can tell you this, used with restraint you will not believe how these GY6 engines get better with miles. My 150 is completely different at 8,000+ miles than it was at 1,000. It gets stronger, looser and more responsive with age.

SemoJD
05-06-2015, 04:32 PM
I am glad to have come across this thread. Fishman, I ordered the same scoot from the same vendor, and I can't wait!

My plan is to change the engine oil (of course) and the gear oil right off the bat. FamilyGoKarts recommended 15W-40 for the engine oil, 10W40 if 15W is not available. Since I'm an old fart, I'm going to take the above advice and break it as easily as I can. I'll keep you posted on my experiences, and I look forward to reading more of yours and the others on here!

Cheers,

JD

Gene563
06-02-2015, 08:43 AM
It's good to read a lot of the positives of these machines.
I, too, am brand new to the site; I have ordered a TaoTao, Lancer 150, which is on its way from KillerMotorSports. I have also ordered many of the replacement items that I plan to address during the PDI. Some though, I may hold off on until I see how the unit runs.
I have had a couple motorcycles in the past ... a beater in HS, then a 500 Honda Shadow that I sold off a few years ago. I'm anxious to get back into riding, but at a more subdued pace.
NJ is a dangerous place to drive/ride.

Gene563
06-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Update: I got the call yesterday that the scoot will be arriving later today.
Transport was very quick (2.5 days) once it shipped ... that took a week, but could have been holiday traffic.
I'm quite excited ... you know what I'll be doing this weekend. I'm dreading the fact that I have to send for the papers so I can title and register, though; I'm hoping for a quick turnaround on that.

FishMan, I hadn't seen any updates; how did you make out with your bike?

TheFishMan
06-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Sorry for not replying. I always come on here to read, I simply didn't want to post because I haven't received my scooter. I ended up having problems with my bosses being beyond disrespectful to me and quit my job. I put my payments on hold for a couple of weeks to save up a little extra spending money.I have it paid for,and it will supposedly be here on Monday according to UPS freight.
Very excited to finally be in possession of my first 2 wheeled vehicle

Ronin
05-03-2016, 05:45 AM
http://imgur.com/uVvMQXv

Sorry, wanted a new account and didn't feel like reseting my password. This is the quantum. And now, I am in need of help. After the learning curve, some drops, etc. I broke the right brake handle. The piece holding the exhaust on the bottom melted, and the ignition kind of popped out. Will be posting pictures in a few hours. Help lmao.

*edit* : Insert image didn't work, forgive the link posting.

kz1000st
05-05-2016, 08:26 AM
www.gsmotorworks.com

This the distributor of Tao Tao in the country. Call them.

krdog
07-06-2016, 05:46 PM
My Wolf brand is quality

stitch_man87
07-25-2016, 01:52 AM
It's good to read a lot of the positives of these machines.
I, too, am brand new to the site; I have ordered a TaoTao, Lancer 150, which is on its way from KillerMotorSports.

I agree. I'm new to this site as well I've noticed people love saying "you're wrong" and "they're all junk" because they prefer something else. I bought a Chinese scoot from killer motorsports and loved it! Hope you enjoy as much as I did mine, congratulations on the new scooter! :scoot:

stitch_man87
07-25-2016, 02:02 AM
Also shout out to killer motorsports, my 3rd scooter from them will actually be here tomorrow. Awesome prices! This one is a roketa mc-22Y (ruckus clone)