PDA

View Full Version : rebuild

tcthomp66
04-24-2015, 06:49 PM
For a variety of reasons (gas in the oil, bearing failures, vacuum leaks amongst others), I am going to take apart my engine. During the crankshaft replacement and inspection of the engine, I will be replacing ALL the seals/gaskets in the engine.

One of the issues I have recognized is that the former owner did not use a torque wrench on any part of the engine. (I have one torque wrench and am ordering another today.)

What are the most common errors that a newbie will make when disassembling and reassembling a GY6 49cc engine?

bull
04-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Far too many possibilities to list. However I can offer you some advice. If you have never taken an engine apart and or do not have an exceptional memory, take high res photos on the way apart.

You must have some kind of cleaning solution to wash all the parts free of oil and dirt. If you have a parts washer that is great, if not a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid and stiff bristle brush will come in handy.

Then after that clean every part using ordinary soapy water, let it air dry.

Hand fit every part and check for friction, when satisfied assemble with clean fresh oil, and torque in sequence by steps to specs. Don't move to the next until each part has been fitted, checked and torqued.

tcthomp66
04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Already on top of that part. I got very familiar with torque wrenches while I was in the military.

The current plan I'm working with is:

1. Replace the engine/transmission with a working unit.
2. Rebuild the old engine/transmission and break it in.
3. Decide what BBK I want to put on the old engine.

I want the old engine working to factory spec before I make any modifications. That way, if there are any issues, I know to go back to the modification.