PDA

View Full Version : Speedo problems

ellis4pa
04-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, back with more questions. I'm having speedometer problems still. I have replaced the the puck at the wheel, and the cable but still it wont read steady.
After i get to 50 and above the needle will jump all over the place, sometimes as high as 100. There is no way I'm going that fast, but as you can imagine having an accurate speedometer is important. Does anybody have any ideas? Is there something that could be loose and need tightening on the gauge cluster? I probably need a new cluster don't I?

Thanks guys

bull
04-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Something is binding.

Just because certain parts are new, does NOT necessarily mean they are good. test them.

Disconnect the speedo cbl from the head, jack up the front wheel. rotate it by hand one revolution- Does the cable rotate freely? If yes, spin it a lot faster and recheck. If still good, check the speedo head for binding, old grease that has hardened, etc

ellis4pa
04-13-2015, 01:31 PM
sorry it took so long to respond back.
I pulled the puck off and removed all the grease, this was a new part and I didn't find anything strange inside and reapplied new, checked cable and it seems fine. Took it for a drive and it seems to be working now. Thanks Again!

oops forgot one thing, the sppedometer cable guide on the fender is broke now, I busted it while checking things out here, any ideas on a replacement? I can't find just the guide.

scooter
04-14-2015, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=bull;531037]

Just because certain parts are new, does NOT necessarily mean they are good. test them.

Ahhh. If only my son would get that. He can't believe that a reman'd alternator would be bad from autozone until he actually saw it with his own eyes twice in a row. Refused to put a dvom on this thing until the second time his 6.2 diesel wouldn't start at school in a week.