PDA

View Full Version : no brake light

dwint51
02-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I had some wires fry on me today and now I don't have wires to my switch.i have a 50cc jonway and remember one wire being green with yellow stripe but don't know where it goes or where the other would go.the way people stay on my ass I would like my brake switch back.please help

bull
02-26-2015, 07:23 AM
here is the sequence of how power arrives and leaves the brake lamp switches:

Battery power (12Vdc) is supplied to the ignition switch through a fused circuit, on a Red wire typically. When you switch the key to run, power leaves the ignition switch on the Black wire. This switched power flows to the Brake lamp switches in parallel. There are two junction blocks under the front instrument cover. One is power into the switches, the other junction block is power out.

When you energize (depress brake lever) either switch power flows out of them to the brake lamp socket on the rear of the scooter and into the correct lamp filament and out of it to ground.

If you had the wires physically burn in half at the brake lamp micro switches, you must have a major shorted circuit AND your fuse is either bypassed or non existent. If the fuse has been bypassed, fix that problem first as it is the only circuit protection device on these scooters.

dwint51
02-26-2015, 07:56 AM
I had bare wires but fixed them.it did blow my fuse and i bypassed it so i would have lights to get home.i know one wire was green with yellow stripe and think it tied in with the green and yellow that went to my blinker.does this sound right.if so where does the other wire go

bull
02-26-2015, 08:30 AM
the power wire from the ignition switch powers the turn signal flasher and several other devices- just concern yourself with the circuit you need to repair

get out your DMM or your circuit test light and test the circuit as described above- you will find the problem

dwint51
02-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Now my directionals are the opposite.they are color coated so i dont get it

dwint51
02-26-2015, 04:26 PM
now my brake light stays on.i don't have a test light and im terrible with electric.i can rebuild engines and this has me so pissed im ready to burn the bitch