PDA

View Full Version : Roketa key problem

MJP
02-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi all, I recently purchased a used roketa maui 50st 50cc moped. Today as I was leaving the store, the key snapped in half. The key isn't stuck in the ignition though. I don't know anything about this scooter, and don't know how to go about getting this replaced. It's the only key I have. Can someone help me out please? I assume I'll need a new ignition so that the keys match up. I've searched Google and don't know which assembly is right for this scooter. Plus I need to know how hard it'll be to change. Please please please help me get this figured out. It's my only mode of transportation for now. Thanks!

bull
02-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Let's get you running first, then you can deal with keys & lock cylinder.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.monstermarketplace.com%2Fgo-karts-and-mini-bikes%2Froketa-mc-10-maui-50st-moped-scooter-457x402.jpg&f=1

This is a typical setup, as I do not know your specific model. If you look closely at the front body panel cover there are some screws that come from the rear side to the front to hold it on. Take your time and don't rush locating them all. The screws are Phillips head #2 usually.

You need to remove that front body panel (the top black one in the photo, if yours is like this model), look @ the ignition lock cylinder & switch- follow the wiring from the switch to the first connector block- that can be 3, 4, or 5 wires. Disconnect ALL of those wires.

Now your scooter will kick start to run, and turn off by the "kill switch" just above the start button.

After your scooter is running again, take the two key halves to a locksmith or a place that cuts keys and see if they can make a new one. if they can't you'll need to replace the lock cylinder / switch. remove the 2 8mm hex head bolts hold it in place, plus there is a small plastic collar that can be removed by twisting counter clockwise on the side where the key inserts

CAUTION - only attempt this next part if you have some electrical circuit knowledge. or take a close photo of the switch harness and attach it to a post for guidance

If you have a jumper wire, the red and black wires from the scooter harness can be jumped and this will allow it to crank through the start button.

Do NOT connect the green wire or the black with the white tracer wire.

MJP
02-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Wow. Thank you so much. I'll see if I can find a locksmith. I live in a super small town. The likelihood of him being available until Monday is slim. Thanks so much. Hopefully he can help me out without charging too much. How much does this service typically go for?

bull
02-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Cost is something that varies a lot. Home Depot and Lowes both offer key cutting. Use the following as guidance to max pricing for key cutting.

If you have to purchase a new lock cylinder / switch and keys- try to do business with a reputable supplier of good parts that keeps an inventory -- many parts sellers have to order the part from a wholesaler after you order, then they ship to you after they get it.

The only currently authorized parts seller on the forum is someone that fits that. John Dikov @ valley scooter parts current shows those kits from $25 to $50 depending on which you need.

http://scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=59

MJP
02-21-2015, 06:17 PM
Awesome, thank you

MJP
02-21-2015, 06:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Promax-Ignition-Switch-Scooters-Roketa/dp/B00NXG6B3S

I found this one on Amazon. Had hoped it would work if I had to go that route

MJP
02-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Well, good news! The locksmith found a key that will work. Ilco x121. He made me 6 lol

bull
02-28-2015, 03:34 AM
glad everything worked out for you. consider hiding one of the keys some where on the scooter as a precaution against loosing your key while away from home.

share the cost so that others can have an idea of what to expect as a 'rule of thumb' on prices

MJP
02-28-2015, 03:59 AM
I paid $1.50 per key. I went to his shop to avoid the $30 mobile fee. I was told that in a regular size city, a locksmith wouldn't charge so much to come to you. This was my first experience and he's the only locksmith for 100 miles, giving him free roam to charge whatever he wants. He made the key, told me to run home and try it, and not to pay him unless it worked. It fit immediately and I called him to get more made ☺

MJP
02-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Do you have any suggestions for hiding a spare on the scooter? Where? In what?

bull
02-28-2015, 07:43 AM
I am a firm believer of hiding in plain sight, so with that I would suggest some black duct tape and taping it to a somewhat easily accessible black body part, and making it look like a clumsy crack repair

the same idea goes with a spare locking fuel cap key, if it is keyed different from the ignition and seat

rks
02-28-2015, 09:51 AM
If it isn't overly thick, slip one into your wallet. If it is, modify it.

If you don't figure this out on your own, and use an internet posted suggestion.....we are all going to know where to look when we want to take your scooter....LOL

MJP
02-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Haha ok. Thank you all 😊