PDA

View Full Version : RX-200 - Oil Seal Problem

Hiskid1950
02-20-2015, 07:23 PM
My wife blew a belt last summer on the RX. She was moving pretty
fast so the belt got shredded up bad. One of the wires tore into the
oil seal and pushed it into the engine. I carefully extracted it so the
shaft would not be damaged. I cleaned/smoothed where the seal
seated. I put a new seal and it seemed to go so far then seat.
Problem is when the scoot starts running it pops right out and oil
starts leaking into the case. I got some permatex sealer that stays
flexible but it just popped right out also. I cleaned the shaft and the
seat area with alcohol. She just asked can I get it running for the
riding season so I figure I better hit the forum. Anyone ever run
into this problem? Is it possible to epoxy in ? Thanks GBY

bull
02-20-2015, 08:33 PM
get a digital caliper and check the sizes of the opening, and all the seal measurements, especially as they compare to the old seal

strictly a guess but sounds like the sizes are not close enough

personally i would not use some 2 part epoxy on a seal, i would rather stake it in 120 degree points

rks
02-22-2015, 08:40 AM
If you had the proper seal, and your engine case is not damaged, you would not need to add any kind of sealer, glue, or whatever. Like bull said, or implied, think you may have the wrong one. If old seal is still around, and still in one piece, I'd take it to NAPA, and see if they can cross the number to a brand they sell. If no visible number, they can measure OD, ID, and width, to come up with a match.

bull
02-23-2015, 04:37 AM
rks is right about getting seals from the local auto parts store. Sometimes we forget that, because we might think they are more costly. That thinking is becoming more wrong all the time. I just had to purchase a crank seal (28x40x7 mm) for that Diamo I am overhauling and several online suppliers quoted lower initial cost, but added handling, plus shipping and were higher than the seal (National #222820) purchased at O'Really. Also the local store can pull parts from their DC overnite @ no extra cost.