PDA

View Full Version : solinoid (starter relay)

dwint51
02-20-2015, 12:42 PM
I replaced a solenoid around 1000 miles ago and now I need another one .is there any better ones out there or are they all crap.press starter button and get nothing when I touch the terminals together it starts.heres the strang thing though.once I jump it it will start normal for a few days.does this mean its on its way out

tcthomp66
02-20-2015, 01:56 PM
What does your battery voltage look like? Also, have you checked the condition of the wiring and the connectors?

dwint51
02-20-2015, 05:57 PM
brand new battery.the scooter is like new and yes I checked all the connections

bull
02-20-2015, 06:43 PM
the failure points of the gy6 solenoids are:

1.. it gets water in it and corrosion sets up and does not allow the electric magnet to work

2.. it get cranked way too much and overheats, this causes a piece of plastic above the two battery cable terminals to melt and run down on the contacts which yields an open circuit

the biggest failure points of the overall circuit is the start switch (push button) gets corroded from moisture- and the terminals in the connector to the solenoid can get pushed aside a little which yields the same result

all of the above are easily repairable w/o replacement

but let us not forget the lowly starter. if it gets cranked too much, the commutator bars get grease on them and don't make contact. another easy repair w/o parts

if you need help diagnosing this and or repairing any of the components, just say so

dwint51
02-20-2015, 07:42 PM
thanks

dwint51
02-20-2015, 07:46 PM
thanks

I forgot another thing.the other day when I put my key in and pushed the button and released it stayed cranking even with the key off.the ignition is new also

bull
02-20-2015, 08:27 PM
then you answered your own question. it is corrosion in the solenoid.

you'll need a pocket screwdriver, a pair of long nosed pliers, a 10 mm wrench, a pick or stiff paperclip, a piece of 240 grit sandpaper or a scotchbrite from the kitchen, a soldering iron and a little solder to resolder the magnet coil wires on reassembly to repair it.

dwint51
02-21-2015, 04:45 AM
thank you but there only four dollars on ebay free shipping

dwint51
02-21-2015, 05:30 AM
thank you but there only four dollars on ebay free shipping

might buy one for a lawn mower they are more heavy duty.going threw two in 1700 miles isn't good

bull
02-21-2015, 09:29 AM
I hope your $4 shipped solenoid works.

I have disassembled three different solenoids.

an original non-working, a new replacement from PS distro center, and a new one from a high advertising scooter parts seller that prides them-self of low prices.

the first failed because it was left outside uncovered for months during heavy rains. but was cleaned / repaired on reassembly and returned to service

the first two had seals for moisture and had residual lubricant on the seals, and weighed about the same. the last had no seals, no lubricant, and was considerably lighter in weight.

dwint51
02-22-2015, 08:14 PM
bought one from advance auto for ten bucks and much better