PDA

View Full Version : More On North Carolina Scooter Laws

kz1000st
02-14-2015, 07:23 AM
I can see how this will affect people with a collection but I don't sympathize much. I have four registered and insured bikes in the garage.

http://www.camelcitydispatch.com/new-state-laws-will-change-how-we-handle-mopeds-6873/

zumaguy123
02-14-2015, 10:01 AM
Thanks for posting that, I live in NC and could have sworn that this thing got defeated last year--guess not.

Oh well, no big deal. I'm glad that they didn't decide to require drivers-licenses for these things. While I DO have a drivers-license, most of the guys in NC whom ride them don't...our lax moped laws (or, rather, total lack thereof up until now) have created a thriving scooter market here, they are everywhere!

This registration law's gonna hurt the guys whom are cruising around on the scoots with more than 50cc's though because anything over 49-50 requires license etc. (not uncommon to see guys around here with no license cruising on 150's). At the time of registration I imagine that the cc's will be looked at---Guess there's gonna be a lot of 150's for sale! lol

wheelbender6
02-15-2015, 01:56 PM
"In that study, Miller and her colleagues found 49% of moped drivers having a prior history of DWI compared with only 8% of motorcycle drivers. Additionally, 64% of moped drivers were previously convicted of a crime, which is 44% more than motorcycle drivers. 28% of moped drivers had revoked drivers’ licenses compared with 6% of motorcycle drivers."
-Great to have friends in low places.
-If the scooter/moped community is so saturated with criminals, why is
"Son's of Anarchy" about a motorcycle gang, instead of a scooter gang?
-On the other hand, after visiting mopedarmy.com a few times, I can see some validity to that study.

kz1000st
02-16-2015, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't take that study personally. There has to be a reason why scooters are called "Liquorcycles" in that State. The people who they speak so badly of are no more scooterists than gangs on motorcycles are motorcyclists. Sadly the bad people are the ones the public relate to.

bull
02-16-2015, 06:05 PM
As everyone knows studies like that need to be considered with extreme caution for controlled outcomes, and since doctors are trained to accomplish their work with only two focuses:
1.. prescribe medication
2.. surgery

and they are not trained to cure, but to keep people on medications for big pharma simply from a financial incentive for both big pharma and doctors

and since studies by Dr. Anna N. Miller, Orthopedic Surgeon's own profession shows that her and her collegues misdiagnose 40% of the time in things like "breast cancer" and "prostate cancer" then we must consider the concept that her study is at the very least wrong by 40%.

then we must further consider more strongly a controlled outcome for the study from a financial incentive for her and her profession

wheelbender6
02-16-2015, 07:44 PM
I agree 100% that you should consider who funded the study before deciding if it has any validity. You can meticulously design a study to give the desired result.

zumaguy123
02-16-2015, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't take that study personally. There has to be a reason why scooters are called "Liquorcycles" in that State. The people who they speak so badly of are no more scooterists than gangs on motorcycles are motorcyclists. Sadly the bad people are the ones the public relate to.

Due to our lack of moped regulations, guys with dwi charges (and other traffic offenders) ride them when their licenses get suspended/revoked, hence the "liquor-cycle" label. And often you'll find that habitual dwi guys (and other habitual traffic offenders) are the kind of people whom commit other types of crimes (which, in part, explains the scooter-rider crime stats)

And then, of course, the lack of moped regulations means that there are china-scoot shops selling low cost 50cc scooters all over the place, making them a very attractive means of transportation (or toy) to people in poor neighborhoods. Drug dealers, teenagers, crack heads, everybody's got em around here (or at least that's how it is in my little city of 200,000).

I'm not being judgmental, its just how it is. So yeah, scooter-riders catch a bad rap around here, its always assumed that we're drunks, crack addicts, and/or criminals of some sort lol.

The vast majority of scooter riders here are guys without license, you'd be hard-pressed to find many grown men whom actually want to ride a scooter. Occasionally you'll run across a "Scooterist" but most often you'll find them riding the Italian bikes or modded Ruckus and Zumas--not very many of them.

wheelbender6
02-17-2015, 08:22 PM
"The vast majority of scooter riders here are guys without license."
It that true?

zumaguy123
02-18-2015, 03:19 PM
"The vast majority of scooter riders here are guys without license."
It that true?

In NC, yes, because a drivers license, insurance, and tags aren't required for the 49/50cc scoots.

NC is 50cc scooter-heaven bro, lol. There's an age requirement and a helmet law, that's it.

And the china-scoot guys have really got it made, they are everywhere!

wheelbender6
02-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Oh. OK. Texas requires plates on 50cc scoots and 50cc riders must take the two day MSF course. However, 50cc riders can take the MSF course on a scooter so that they don't have to learn manual clutch shifting.

kz1000st
02-19-2015, 07:00 AM
NY requires a drivers license, plates and insurance for anything that goes less than 30 mph. Faster than that requires an "M" designation on the license. Of course whether they ticket someone on a BBK doing 50 mph is up for discussion.

dwint51
02-20-2015, 05:35 AM
I lived in n.y 35 years andthey are too strict in my opinion

kz1000st
02-20-2015, 07:26 AM
No argument there. Most of the surrounding states don't title anything over 10 years. You better have a title for your 1973 Bridgestone here or forget it.