PDA

View Full Version : Float Charger??

Irish
02-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Has anyone ever used a float charger? A lot of the "Old Time" riders swear by them! You can leave a float charger on all of the time & it will not overcharge your battery but will keep it constantly topped up. I bought one recently & instead of using the clips on the charger leads , it has leads that stay on your battery & you just plug in the leads from the "smart charger"! Living up North (NH) I used to take out my battery in the winter & hook an old tail light to it , to keep the cells activated. Is this something new because it sure sounds good? I have been riding since '59/'60 & they sure have come out with a lot of things. Half of the things that used to be Custom are now standard equipment! Irish:clap:

rks
02-09-2015, 05:47 AM
I use them. In fact, I have a total of five...2 Battery Tender Junior's (.75 amp), and 3 Schumacher 1.5 amp maintainers. On the scooter, the lawn mower, and both motorcycles I have the leads bolted to the battery, so as you said, hookup is a simple plug in. The other charger/maintainer gets moved around, so I use the clamps on that one. I actually need two more chargers, then I wouldn't have juggle one around as I do now.

They are a great little gizmo...especially up here in the north...and I've found, only cost pennies a month to run

taz001
02-09-2015, 10:26 AM
have half a dozen of them, use them all the time on equipment that only has sporadic use.:)

Admin
02-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Yep, I love 'em.. best things ever. :tup:

thumper650
02-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Cycle Gear sells several generic ones,
http://www.cyclegear.com/DURABOOST-Battery-Maintainer-750
It goes on sale for $15 sometimes. Almost too cheap, maybe a Battery Tender is better. I have to get one for my friend. He doesen't ride his Roughhouse most of the winter. My scooter doesn't sit still long, so I've never needed a charge.
I

Admin
02-09-2015, 11:32 PM
A few years back the Schumakers were only $15 from WalMart (I think they're a bit more now). I bought a couple they work flawlessly. I even had one that somehow got misplaced outside in a bucket full of water for a couple months, and I couldn't believe that it still worked after I dried it out! Still use it to this day!

Edit: Just found them for $17 shipped on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schumacher-MC-1-6-12-Volt-Manual-Trickle-Battery-Charger-New-Free-Shipping-/361205606682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541988291a

rks
02-10-2015, 08:20 AM
You may want to spend the extra 3 or 4 dollars on the model designated as automatic and as a maintainer. They are a fine unit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM1-5-Maintainer-1.5-Amp/15140193

brucetho
05-01-2015, 05:51 PM
I just bought a NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V .75A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LX3AS6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on Amazon. It was cheaper than battery tender, but equal specs. Love it because it is foolproof to use. One point of warning. Some float chargers are OK for standard lead/acid batteries, but not suitable for gel or AGM batteries. SO be sure what your are buying is appropriate for your battery.

Irish
06-03-2015, 12:57 PM
:tup: Follow-up! I have leads bolted to my battery posts. They are in line with a plug type device. Everytime-After riding my bike , I just plug it in. It's probably one of the best purchases I ever made!:tup::clap: Irish

Irish
06-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Alert!!!! I just got an e-mail from Harbor Freight! They are having a 3 day Fathers Day Sale! If you print off a coupon from the e-mail , float chargers are under $5.00 ! This is not a recommendation! It's to help save money!:clap: Irish

blueboy5000
06-20-2015, 06:21 AM
I installed "remote leads" on all my scoots and I keep them hooked up to float chargers when they are in ny basement, especially the one in my avatar pic, as it has extra halogen driving lamps and leds.

crawford
06-26-2015, 10:29 PM
Hold on there there are float chargers and battery tenders all are not the same. Most float chargers aren't meant to be left on all the time. Battery tenders or similar can be they have a processors which will prevent batters from boiling out it liquid. Remember you get what you pay for.

blueboy5000
06-28-2015, 07:40 AM
They are electronic battery tenders. They charge at 1.5 amps

Irish
06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
The one that I use , I got at the dealership because the previous owner already had the leads attached to the battery. I have another that I bought at Harbor Freight but the other is great for me because my battery is very hard to get to. Knowing me , I'd be to lazy to try to use clips!:tup::clap: Irish:ugh: