PDA

View Full Version : Bike Sales Up, Scooters Down

kz1000st
02-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Except that these are numbers from the Motorcycle Industry Council and none of the Taiwanese or Chinese builders are members. I smell sales being sucked off the high priced brands.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2/21947/Motorcycle-Article/Motorcycle-Sales-Up-3-8--for-2014.aspx

Houndguy
02-06-2015, 08:06 AM
In my humble opinion...a lot of people bought the 50 cc scoots first and quickly realized that it's fun as hell to be on a bike. They also realized that in a lot of cases 50 cc's are not enough. So instead of moving up to a 250 or a 500 maxi (which are still pretty rare) they are buying a motorcycle.

I also did the same thing but found my Kymco. I'm glad I did.

kz1000st
02-06-2015, 08:56 AM
I've told this story a thousand times but it's a truism.

We bought the 150 for my wife but she needed a license to use it. She signed up for the MSF Basic course to get it. She needed to learn a clutch so I taught her on a shrieky CR-60 Honda minicrosser. After learning that, and feeling the difference in power there alone (Honda has more), she wanted a bike. Her Honda Rebel was bought a month after the scooter, she passed the BRC and only rides the scooter into Town.....sometimes.

I still think the drop in scooter sales is misleading. As more Chinese scooters are sold people are seeing that $3500 for a 150cc brand name is extravagant.

wheelbender6
02-07-2015, 08:47 AM
Its just tough for scooters to compete with a Honda CB300 that does 90mph for 4 grand. The big four are wicking up the competition in the small engine segment.
I agree that the mainland China scooter sales are under reported, if at all.

thumper650
02-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Its just tough for scooters to compete with a Honda CB300 that does 90mph for 4 grand. The big four are wicking up the competition in the small engine segment.

On that note I love the Suzuki TU 250x and the new Yamaha SR 400. They're a bit pricey though. I'm happy to see small displacement bikes coming to the US, not everyone wants a 103cu in. Harley.

kz1000st
02-07-2015, 01:56 PM
The Suzuki GW-250, Honda CB 300F, Honda Rebel, V Star 250 and SYM T2 250 are all in the 4 grand area. The SYM Wolf Classic 150, all the Cleveland Cycle Werks 250s and new CSC RX-3 Cyclone 250 are all under $3500. It's a tough sell to convince a non-devotee that a $5000 Vespa 150 or even a $3500 PCX 150 is a good deal.

feartheclown
02-07-2015, 09:33 PM
In my humble opinion...a lot of people bought the 50 cc scoots first and quickly realized that it's fun as hell to be on a bike. They also realized that in a lot of cases 50 cc's are not enough. So instead of moving up to a 250 or a 500 maxi (which are still pretty rare) they are buying a motorcycle.

I also did the same thing but found my Kymco. I'm glad I did.

I really 2nd this. I've had my scooter for 2 weeks and am already dreaming into the future about having a motorcycle. The main reason i got a scooter was for cheap entry into the 2 wheeled world just to try it out. It really makes sense now why so many people are in love with them.

I've personally spent a whole life afraid of them. I rode 1 time when i was 6 on the back of someone else and have had nothing but fear since. I'm pushing 30 now and just overcoming it. I'll thank newegg.com for sending me an email advert for a scooter under $1000

thumper650
02-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I love motorcycles, I have one, but the scooter just fits my work week (when it's not snowing) Free parking, bike lane usage, underseat storage, and the ugly basket I have on the back of my Kymco. If you just ride for fun, I think a motorcycle makes sense though.
I used to have a Honda CM 400 twin, great bike, nice and light but capiable on the highway.

kz1000st
02-10-2015, 08:14 AM
I rode 1 time when i was 6 on the back of someone else and have had nothing but fear since. I'm pushing 30 now and just overcoming it.

This really gets to me. Everytime I gave someone a ride on the back of my bike, who had ridden on the back with someone else previously, they said the same thing, "It's not scary riding on the back of your bike.?" I always said, "If I did something that scares you, then I'd be scaring me." I don't know why people think that everytime they give someone a ride for the first time it should be an amusement park thrill ride. It demeans more than it impresses.