PDA

View Full Version : Question-Scooter or Motorcycle?

Irish
12-20-2014, 04:39 PM
I just moved to Fla. I have had motorcycles9 (mostly Chopped older Triumphs) for most of my life. After moving here , I wanted a Trike (Leg Problems ) I couldn't Find a shop (in the area) that had a smaller & less expensive Trike so I bought one online (big mistake). I bought a Road Warrior. It's listed as a scooter but also is referred to as a motorcycle. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks! Irish:taunt:

kz1000st
12-20-2014, 05:38 PM
I assume you mean this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwjc2KJ1w8

A bike, not a scooter.

Irish
05-14-2015, 05:14 PM
I turned in the Road Warrior on a 2006 Sportster 1200 w/Trike Kit! In other words-The question is not valid.:hmm: Irish:thanks:

novaraptor
05-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Sweet deal. As I move further into my 60's, I keep considering triking out one of my Yamaha FJ's.. Uh, on account of my age, not cause I want a platform to carry a keg of beer on...

Irish
05-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Sweet deal. As I move further into my 60's, I keep considering triking out one of my Yamaha FJ's.. Uh, on account of my age, not cause I want a platform to carry a keg of beer on...

When I bought my 2006 Sportster 1200 w/Trike kit , it had no passenger seat , sissy bar w/pad or anything to help me to mount it (bad leg ) I got the parts from Bike strippers & found a reputable shop (Tempest Cycles ) that did fabrication & had them adapt everything. I would suggest that you might want to do the same! I could picture what I wanted from previous work of my own (in NH ) but if you find a reputable fabricator , I'm sure that it would work.:tup: Irish

Irish
05-17-2015, 01:15 PM

novaraptor---Don't take this as criticism but if you do go for a Trike Kit , make sure that it is installed correctly (even if you use "Overkill "). I'm saying this to protect your butt. I had two motorcycle customizing & repair shops when I lived in NH. You would not believe some of the Trike conversions that came into my shop! I wouldn't ride them across the street! Unfortunately , you have to test ride everything that you work on! All that you can do is to make the customer aware & not hurt his feelings.:s Irish
P.S. Just a word of warning! Do the work yourself , if you have to or have someone that is mechanically inclined do it!:tup:

novaraptor
05-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Hi, Irish, I appreciate the concern. I've got considerable tech around me. A friend of mine owns a bike repair shop to help with the assemble. Next door to me is a machine shop that can custom make virtually anything (of course, at a cost), and I work at a graphics shop with a reasonably stocked metal fabrication shop and paint shop. If at all possible, I never let strangers work on my bikes. (of course, part of that is because I don't want someone younger than the bike itself working on it.) Happy roads to you...

Oh, and other than the lack of power, how did you like the warrior as far as ride and construction?

kz1000st
05-19-2015, 06:36 AM
I was just over at Modern Vespa stirring up stuff over this question. A guy was asking if he should buy a Rebel or a 300cc Vespa. The Vespa lovers all called the Rebel a POS and "why settle for a bike at the bottom of the food chain when you can have a scooter at the top." I posted Cycle Worlds comparison of the 300cc Sport bikes

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/05/18/four-affordable-sub-400cc-entry-level-sportbike-motorcycle-review-comparison-test-photos-specifications/

The specs are on the second page and will blow a 300cc Vespa out of the water on speed. From what I read over there the 300cc bikes will also leave them in the dust in reliability too.

novaraptor
05-19-2015, 10:19 AM
While I respect a persons right to their opinion, if someone tells me the Rebel is a POS, I pretty much figure they haven't done their homework, and kinda just stop listening to them.. And true, the new crop of sport bikes reviewed are all from world class manufacturers, and should be as reliable as their other bikes. I've been following, off and on, some of the chinese sportbike reviews and videos online. Promising..
OOPPSS, I was refering to the Korean Hyosung GT250R.

Irish
05-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Hi, Irish, I appreciate the concern. I've got considerable tech around me. A friend of mine owns a bike repair shop to help with the assemble. Next door to me is a machine shop that can custom make virtually anything (of course, at a cost), and I work at a graphics shop with a reasonably stocked metal fabrication shop and paint shop. If at all possible, I never let strangers work on my bikes. (of course, part of that is because I don't want someone younger than the bike itself working on it.) Happy roads to you...

Oh, and other than the lack of power, how did you like the warrior as far as ride and construction?

I liked the way the Road Warrior handled but something else was wrong with it! For instance , sometimes it would shift by itself! The 1st time I brought it home & was going to make an adjustment. The adjustment was already all of the way out. At your age , you can probably understand but I'm 71 yrs old now & I don't want to fix things all of the time! I just want to get on & ride.:yay: Irish
P.S. That's not saying that they would all be the same but the internet companies are just a middleman & the followups take forever!:tdown:

novaraptor
05-19-2015, 05:54 PM
"I just want to get on & ride." Oh, I understand that. I do most of the work on my stuff, but I don't like to play mechanic. Some folks love that, but not me. The ride is the thing..

Irish
05-21-2015, 12:13 PM

novaraptor------Where are you located?:hmm: You sound exactly like the man that lived a few doors down from me in NH! My real name is Thomas J Ahern. I used to live at 63 Calef Hwy in NH. That's RT 125. My stonewall was the townline of Barrington & Rochester. Irish

novaraptor
05-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Sorry, not me. I'm in Las Vegas, Nv. The only two times I went east of the Mississippi was to Florida. Once while in service for Air Base Ground Defence training, and once to help a friend drive a motorhome to California. Originally from the Spokane, Wa area, I was stationed here in the desert for awhile. Once I left service, I picked up a few degrees and returned to Vegas. Mostly because you can ride all year round here. Been here since 1984.

crawford
06-27-2015, 03:34 PM
My trike 300cc looks like a real trike great for older folks LOL