PDA

View Full Version : GY6 Problems, And More Questions

jmusser218
10-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Okay I'm back again with more questions. I finally got my 150cc buggy to my house today so I got to check things out thoroughly. The buggy will start and idle fine, but as soon as the gas is pressed, it dies. I first checked the carburetor. For some unknown reason, there is no possible way to get the float bowl off the bottom. I've never seen one like it. Plus, the auto enricher was smoking at the electrical connection so I'm getting a new carb. I also found a pinched vacuum line and some dry rotting fuel lines so all of the rubber lines are getting replaced as well. Spark plug looked okay also and I'm replacing the air box with a high flow intake as well as re-jetting the new carb. The biggest thing that stood out to me, however, is that there was standing oil in the cylinder. I know this isn't normal, so should I rebuild the top end? There was also a pool of oil on the engine case right under where the cylinder casing meets the engine casing. Oh, and the oil dipstick is completely dry. So my questions are as follows:
1. Could the cylinder and piston be bad, causing the dying and the oil in the cylinder? (also, the buggy only goes about 27mph, which seems a little slow for a 150)
2. Would rebuilding the engine with a new cylinder, piston, and gaskets fix the oil problem and the low power problem?
3. This is actually my biggest question. It's not related to the above problems; it has to do with the exhaust. Unlike any other exhaust I've seen on a gy6, the exhaust on my buggy goes on the left side of the engine, rather than the right like usual. It also has some box on the exhaust header that looks like some sort of sensor with an air hose going from it to the air box. I can't find any other exhaust like it, and it really needs to be replaced. Where can I find this type of exhaust?

This is a 150cc gy6 made by Yonghe. Any info would be great. :thanks:

kz1000st
10-13-2014, 03:47 PM
This is not my area of expertise but I can hazard an opinion. Many of the online scooter sellers also sell ATVs. Go to places like powersportsmax.com, superiorpowersports.com or even GSMotorworks.com and see if they sell something that resembles yours. They might be able to get parts for you like the exhaust.

In terms of speed a 150cc doing 27 mph pulling the weight of a dune buggy is not out of line. A GY6 only puts out 8 to 10 hp depending on who you believe and an ATV is probably not a lightweight piece of equipment. Keep in mind a Polaris RZR has something like 800cc and they only advertise a top speed around 60 mph.

rks
10-14-2014, 06:24 PM
No oil on dipstick...think I might have left that one in his yard, instead of taking it home with me..

I take it that you found standing oil in the cylinder before you had it running...had it been stored or not run for an extended period of time before you bought it? I wonder if someone just squirted some oil in the cylinder to keep things from rusting together while it sat idle.

If cylinder and/or rings where in that bad a shape, you never would have gotten it to start or run.

Before buying a lot of engine parts, I would fix the fuel and vac lines, as you stated...(that in itself could fix a lack of power)..and see how it goes. Give the engine a good cleaning, then maybe you can determine where the oil is coming from.