PDA

View Full Version : Ground and wiring help needed.

Scooty McBreaksalot
09-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Hi everyone, fresh account and first time forum user. I can always find the info and do it myself....until now. Got a 150cc GY6 and played so hard i blew it up. Invested in a fresh 150 GY6 and its ran for a couple thousand miles perfectly. After a serious rain storm (idk if relevant) started her up and walked inside to let warm up, came back to a non running moped. Here is what i know:

When using starter the green (ground) wire from stator gets EXTREMELY hot, like smoke burning wires hot. Also everything electrical is off (out), except instrument cluster, left blinkers, and horn. I did tons of hours of research and tinkering. I did experiment with adding an additional ground from the frame to the valve cover and when i would try to start it was (50-75%) faster and sounded perfect, looked down and that new ground wire was smoking hot crisping itself. I checked the stator wire and it was fine unlike before i made another ground. I am at the point of wanting to buy a new wiring harness or perhaps make a new one or modify the one i have. So, my question is where do i start?

kz1000st
09-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Try the Rube Goldberg method first. Either hook up two ground wires or one, very heavy gauge wire. Also, though, check the current at the battery while running. It should be about 13 to 14.5 volts. If it's way higher than that you have a regulator issue.

Are the rest of the electrics back on with the new ground wire?

blueboy5000
09-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Does the new engine have the same stator as the old one? The voltage regulator/rectifier must be changed if it does not have the same stator. Voltage regulators are sold by the number of "poles" a stator has. You must use the correct VRR.

Also; attach a heavy-gauge wire to one of the valve-cover bolts and connect the other end to a known ground on the fame. For some reason this "primary ground" is not mentioned on gy6 wiring diagrams, and is often omitted.

blueboy5000
09-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Also Scooty, it's a scooter not a mo-ped, mo-peds have pedals (though, they are equally as awesome as scooters :P)

blueboy5000
09-30-2014, 08:07 AM
oh yes, I almost forgot;

The solenoid harness clip, Enricher harness clip and alarm harness clip are all virtually identical. Make sure they are connected correctly.

and attach your negative cable to the frame directly, and make sure to sand off any paint/grunge where it mounts to the frame. I usually attach the primary ground(the wire you installed) the negative cable and the accessory ground (usually a small green wire) to the same point on the frame.

SteelersScoot
04-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Should there be 2 grounds to the frame? I have one from the battery to the frame but still get smoke from the wires. Do I need to use this ground to the motor and frame or add a second ground - motor to frame and battery to frame? Thanks for any help.

SteelersScoot
04-06-2017, 11:39 AM
And what guage should I use? People are saying heavy gauge but that really doesn't help. Is 8 gauge ok to use or should I go higher?