PDA

View Full Version : Odd Sound in CVT, Speed Limited (GY6)

SDK-123
09-07-2014, 12:53 PM
I have a relatively new PCC Amor 50 with a 50cc GY6 (139QMB). When ever I get to speeds higher than 30 mph I get an awful sound which is like almost clicking but at a higher rate. See attached link (at 7 seconds). As a note, I would have taken actual video, but I could not get the CVT cover off and get it to start with out grinding starter gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih4nxtcTdsU&feature=youtu.be

I am relatively new to these machines, and so I was thinking it could be the valves, a bearing, variator weights gone bad, clutch issue, I read something about a CVT limiter washer, and I just do not have any idea.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

blueboy5000
09-07-2014, 01:42 PM
That's WAY TO HIGH AN RPM to run your bike at. You should never have it tached up beyond 8000 rpms.

SDK-123
09-07-2014, 01:54 PM
That's WAY TO HIGH AN RPM to run your bike at. You should never have it tached up beyond 8000 rpms.

Well, how do I lower it? My stock CDI is at the same problem. Any ideas? Also, thank you. I do not have an ear for the revs on these engines.

Only other thing I did was bore it out a bit, and add an air filter.

I added a new CDI which seems to give me more torque but I still have the same problem with the stock CDI, only less pronounced.

SDK-123
09-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Okay, so what it looks like, I can get lower revs. if I put on larger weights on my variator. I was searching around and found a chart:

http://i50.tinypic.com/35i526d.jpg

I already have a "performance" variator coming in, which I take it means it has a larger diameter, and therefore a higher gearing. I think my stock weights are 5g and what is going on it is 9g. I will report back and see what happens as far as speed/performance/rpm.

dwint51
09-08-2014, 09:53 AM
I wouldn't go that high I would try the variator first.half gram weights make a differance

dwint51
09-10-2014, 02:28 PM
I had 5 grams stock and was doing 42 mph.i just put my performance variator on yesterday and it is the best thing I ever did to it.i put 5 grams back in but sliders not rollers and the difference is unbelievable.i have great acceleration and I can hit 45 now.i tried 4 grams and it was really quick but only hit 42.surprised my rpms are down from 8000 to 7000 at the same speed.i mixed mine up with 4s and 5s and I like both the take off and top speed.going down hill with the 5 grams I hit 50 so if I had more power I no I could go faster.people reading this you should buy a performance variator they are awesome.well worth the little bit they cost.i bought a koso from scappy dog but I guess dr pulley is even better