PDA

View Full Version : Got into my Linhai 300 today. A few q's.

Breakneck
09-06-2014, 10:52 PM
I got to work on my recent purchase the 2008 Linhai 300 today.

I wanted to see what some of my stock items were so I have a starting point with the condition of my parts and knowing replacement sizes for the belt etc.

Well I had an interesting time. I wanted to first get my belt size so I removed the screws on the foot rest and removed it. Then I was on to removing the cover to the clutch housing.

There are 2 screws that hold this piece on and they were both horrible quality screws and both of them stripped with hardly any pressure at all. On top of that they were torqued down very tight.

This left me in a terrible position. I hit up the hardware store to get a stripped screw remover. Well it succeeded in removing one of the stripped screws and the other one....well the head of the screw broke off, leaving the rest of the screw stuck in the hole.

With that I could remove that plastic housing.
I got into the clutch housing without problem and found my stock belt size to be 23.0 x 871:

http://www.scootdawg.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=497&stc=1&d=1410109167

The belt was in fantastic shape for being from 2008. The scooter did only have 700 miles on it since then but dry rot hasn't become an issue at all.

I was unable to remove the variator screw because I didn't have a removal tool and attempted to use a socket wrench to stop the variator from moving and a little piece of the edge of the fin chipped off...again without hardly any pressure. The piece is really small being approx. a quarter of an inch by a quarter of an inch. Will this be an issue with proper operation of the variator? I plan on replacing it asap with a higher quality piece as I was surprised how brittle the metal actually was. I didn't try but I know I could grab a part of the fin and break it off without using a quarter of my grip strength.

I was able to put everything back together without any issue and I learned a lot and am confident in being able to change a belt when the time comes.

As for the other stripped screw I couldn't remove, it is still there and I bought another replacement from going back to the hardware store. I grinded it down after trying for 2 hours to remove it with various methods.

The plastic piece is currently being held on with only one screw with the whole piece fitting strongly in place. I am actually thinking about removing the plastic housing and painting the clutch housing in the future.

My stock battery size is Yuasa YTX9-BS 12V 8AH:

http://www.scootdawg.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=498&stc=1&d=1410055185

This was easy to get to by removing 2 screws inside the storage compartment area and removing the rear seat.

My questions for my fellow scooter geniuses is:

What size is the variator for the Linhai 300? There is a 169m on the current one. Does this mean anything?

What is the stock roller weights for it?
I'm looking to gain top speed performance.

What other belt sizes would be able to be substituted for the stock belt?
I read in another post that different size belts can be used and I couldn't find any Gates belts in this size as they seem to have stopped being made.

Besides Gates, what other brand is quality?

I plan on buying a replacement belt for a backup to the current one.
I plan on buying sliders to gain some top speed as quick acceleration isn't really my cup of tea currently. Although I'll probably buy some lighter ones at the same time so if I change my mind they are available.

Any recommendations as to where to buy any of these pieces at good prices?

I know this was a long post but I really didn't find that much info about the Linhai 300 and wanted to post my stock findings along with my initial issues.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

kz1000st
09-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Mitsuboshi is a good brand and I looked up what it costs to replace it on one site. $121.00!! I just got a Bando Kevlar belt for mine for a mere $42.00. Dr. Pulley is the best of the slider making companies and www.partsforscooters.com sells those. Engine-wise you have the same engine as a Roketa MC54-250B but it's not a Linhai clone as the Roketa has. You have the genuine Linhai-Yamaha motor that went in the Europe sold Majesty 250.