PDA

View Full Version : Burning and Leaking Oil...

bottomout
09-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I have a 2010 Peace Sport 50 that I purchased used in 2011.
I installed a 100cc BBK in January this year and I just got it running right in June.
A couple of weeks ago, it started smoking like crazy and you can see the oil dripping from the bottom of the motor, (just not where it's coming from). It's still starts and runs OK unless you run it real hard at which point it will start bogging out.
A new oil pump came with the BBK, but I elected to wait until after the break in to install it. I thought maybe that was the issue so I installed that last week and it still smokes when running and I collected about half of the .7 liters of oil that drained out from the leak.
There does seem to be a lot of oil around the front where the exhaust comes out. I checked the variator area, and it's clean so I know it's not a seal there.
Anybody got any suggestions as to where to go next?

kz1000st
09-05-2014, 06:33 PM
I know you won't want to hear this but it's piston rings. The bogging is lack of vacuum from lack of compression,the smoke is oil getting into the combustion chamber and the oil is being blown out of the engine. I don't know who you bought the kit from but it let you down.

blueboy5000
09-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Sounds to me like you didn't break it in right and you mis-seated the rings. You really gotta break them in correctly ESPECIALLY with a BBK.

My brother put a BBK on a 139, and decided to "whomp on it" and "break it in hard", commonly going at full-throttle, riding two people, and just generally riding very hard BEFORE he had 500 miles on the BBK. Blew the rings, and smoked and then lost compression steadily, which got worse everyday until the engine wouldn't start anymore and has 45lbs compression.

People keep saying ignorant things about break ins, but you do it wrong=waste your BBK, and that's a FACT.

kz1000st
09-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Totally agree. This Motoman break in is so bogus. Break in should be done with low throttle, heating and cooling from short trips and no abuse. The "Ride like you stole it" break in won't lead to long engine life no matter who says it.