PDA

View Full Version : Chinese brand crossover database?

Swordsman
08-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Hey guys! Is there a database anywhere that lists the 50,000 different Chinese "brands" and breaks them down into the actual manufacturers? I can't tell what's-what out there.... same designs over and over, and seems like they never have the same name on the side! It's confusing as hell for someone trying to settle on an investment, especially in the used market.

Thanks!

kz1000st
08-08-2014, 08:40 PM
There just isn't enough difference between brands to worry about if you're buying used. Most 50cc scoots use a GY6 that's the same. Same for a GY6 150cc. The dealers that sell parts will have what you need. The 250s are either Honda CN-250 clones or Linhai Yamaha clones. Since most problems are either electrical or carburetor, again, most part sellers can help you out. It isn't like all the China bikes are Honda or Kawasaki or Yamaha, etc. They are mostly the same with minor differences under the skin.

Swordsman
08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
I can believe that. Even on the dealer sites, the scoots are listed as one brand but may have pics with a different badge. Or worse, the same model will be listed as two different brands, with different prices! :nuts:

I'm curious though; if that IS the case, why does there tend to be so much debate over which Chinese brand is better / more reliable...?

cheapeto
08-09-2014, 09:36 AM
We all want to think we bought the best, at the best price over the next guy, we delude ourselves on a lot issues like that.

kz1000st
08-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Some importers are less than honest and source their scooters with the cheapest parts they can. It's acknowledged that Znen sells some of the best scooters, many through dealer networks like Bintelli and Wolf. Of Chinese scooters for sale right now Lance, built by SYM is about the best but you pay more for the privelege. The rest of Chinese scooters are a toss up. They reward good setup and use with high mileage but the owner is the difference.

Swordsman
08-09-2014, 10:28 PM
So, if I'm eyeballin' a new Peace GT-S 150 (poor man's Puma Falcon ?), it won't necessarily be any better or worse than anything else out there? Around my area, Peace tends to be the only make you can find, and most of them on Craigslist aren't running.

kz1000st
08-10-2014, 03:09 AM
That scooter you see in my avatar is a Peace scooter. They build their own engines in house, something many others don't. I trust the brand and like that GTS. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Swordsman
08-11-2014, 01:06 PM
I have a few questions about that one in particular, but I think they'd be better off in their own thread. Thanks for the input!