PDA

View Full Version : Nothing when I press the starter button.

breckrider
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
The battery is charged and I've checked it with my voltmeter. Guage needles move when I turn the key but when I squeeze either or both brake levers, the engine still will not fire. I think it's a faulty safety switch but don't know how to diagnose or fix that.

Suggestions?

Wd0afq
07-11-2014, 10:44 PM
If the engine will not turn over there is a good chance the brake switches have gone bad. I have had to replace mine.
Dan

breckrider
07-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Where is that located?

cheapeto
07-12-2014, 08:40 AM
I'd check the kill switch at the kick stand. Mine I sprayed some WD40 all over mine worked the kick stand a few times. Or the one on the handlebars, may be faulty. All it takes is a pinched wire. I'd take it apart and have a look.

breckrider
07-12-2014, 08:54 AM
DOn't think I have one on the kickstand because I've started it before with the kickstand down. I'll take switches on the handlebars apart and look at them.

Wd0afq
07-12-2014, 01:24 PM
The brake switches are located on the back of the brake handles. I kinda doubt both would have gone out at same time though.
Dan

cheapeto
07-13-2014, 06:44 AM
On mine the center stand, does not have a kill switch, just my kick stand. Dang, I hope you find that gremlin.

Wrisberg
07-13-2014, 08:02 AM
It can be the starter button aswell... I have had that problem once.
None off the aboved suggested problems.

But, it could be either. It can also be a loose ground wire, starter relay, or, your starter. I would work out the bad source with a voltmeter, and then measure from the switch at the brakes first, and then the starter button, then the relay and on.

Madathlon
07-13-2014, 11:26 AM
When checking for starting issues it is best to start backwards.

So step one, Make sure the battery is charged.

Then with a good screwdriver jump across the two large terminals on the starter solenoid.

If it cranks, then the starter is good.

Now with a piece of wire you go from the large (+) (Battery side) of the solenoid to the start tab(Or wire joint) and energize the solenoid, Again if the starter cranks the Solenoid is good.

Then from here you will have a few parts to swap out to do proper checks. Next in line is the starter relay. (Depending on model its about $5 to $9) if swapping this out doesn't work then we are on to the brake safeties and the engine kill switch.

Once you get to this point you are also looking at the main ignition switch assy.

If you get desperate you can make a bypass from the solenoid to the start button. You will be bypassing all the safeties and the emergency stop. but you would gain the electric start back.

Wrisberg
07-14-2014, 09:10 AM
+1.
Either way would work.
I would work the other way arround, because I could have a greater feeling of the Electric contacts, being defect.
But now you have some workarounds ☺
Hope you solve it quickly!