PDA

View Full Version : Power difference Honda clone vs Yamaha clone engines

smoak
07-09-2014, 06:55 PM
So this past week I did some work on a MC-13-250 Bali for a guy. It has a Honda 250 clone motor on it, and when I took it out for a test ride after repairs I was startled at the acceleration difference between his bike and my own, which has the Yamaha clone 250. (The not often seen 244 clone, not the 257)

My bike has good a good overall top end speed, and decent takeoff, but this Bali would have flat smoked me on takeoff. Is the Honda clone just more powerful, or is this simply a difference in roller setups in the CVT between stock Honda clones vs Yamaha clones?

If it is just rollers, any recommendations for new roller/sliders sizes? My bike is an MC54-250B (2008) and a quick ebay search for doctor pulleys sliders came up with both 11 gram and 12 gram slider sets for my model bike.

Any idea what stock weight might be on my OEM rollers, and what weight to get in sliders to improve takeoff?

cheapeto
07-10-2014, 08:23 AM
H'mmm twice in a morning, maybe this will help you:
http://www.beedspeed.com/html-pages/variator-roller-weights-chart.htm

kz1000st
08-09-2014, 05:53 PM
The Bali is supposed to be a lighter bike than the MC54. The difference in acceleration might be mostly due to that. The Linhai engine in the MC54 is supposed to make 16 hp as opposed to the 14 hp in the Bali.